2019 - Jan to March 31st - Random Thoughts

She’d swiftly find herself wrapped in it :wink: :laughing:

Looks like a traffic jam, both E & W–

That’s a major route between the southwest corners of PA & OH, with thousands of semis every day. I-70 also connects with I-79 N & S. Northerly, that affects traffic going to Pitts & the Turnpike I-80 E & W. Southerly, that affects traffic into Morgantown WVA and points further S, E, and W.

Plus, it’s gonna snow on these routes! Orange Barrel Season has started early.

Do you take with gun, bow, or snag lines? Are there seasonal limits? :thinking: :crazy_face:

When I used to go through that area ‘in season’ the semis seemed to like using their front bumpers… creatively… same as for deer season… and also similarly cars who tried it usually lost the battle if it was hard enough to damage the barrel… I still remember one night in the rain and fog areas… we were driving along and the truck ahead of us vanished… in those days the I’s were built as large concrete slabs… and they were solid… well the road underpinnings had washed out… the first truck started it but got out in time, the second was close behind and dropped into the void head first but below the driver… and we got stopped when we saw what was happening… never got flares out so fast… but we were well equipped… and trained… before the next traffic came, the road was closed… and the cops on the way… some of the guys with me did an end run to check the driver and he came out to them with assistance on the far side of the wash out… we were on our way further south for the weekend and there was still a passable area to the high side… I got my little 510 over that safely, but the semis pulling up behind were what closed the road… we had walked the driver back to the other side… where we had been and left him in the care of his buddies and got back to our car… and watched as the truck went further down the slope into the void… and the bit I drove across, but by then another hour had passed… forget how long the highway was closed, but more than a few of those guys had to back out to the previous exit… to detour… I bet that brought out a lot of barrels during the repair sessions… after which they were needed… cause no one was moving for quite a while…
I know it was still closed when we went North after the weekend… but that was late 60’s early 70’s and a bad rain year… but I always keep it in mind when driving the Interstate system… where I see concrete roads… for that matter anywhere… happens here as well… but no concrete slabs…

In Pennsylvania, fines are, quoted:
11. Orange barrels. $86.80. If you buy more than five, the price goes down to $78.10. But if you hit more than five, you may have bigger issues. Bonus orange-plastic buy: Traffic cones are $18.50.

cont’d
“Hawaii, for instance, charges you $25 extra if you’re more than 30 days late. Kansas, Kentucky and Oregon can seize your income tax refund. And Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and South Dakota can revoke your driver’s license – which has huge consequences for your future car insurance prospects.”

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/cost-of-public-property-damage-liability.aspx

@Jim7 Careful Jim… I was apprised of this photo, purportedly of a new owner of new vehicle… and it strongly resembles someone you are teasing… :sunglasses:

Can’t reveal the source though… I did sign a secrecy document about my past employment… but it looks authentic… but poorly documented…

I almost had to sign one of those once. When during the discussion I was asked where I currently work, I just gave them a blank stare. Finally the man said another, “I don’t think one of these is necessary. He’s clueless.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :crazy_face:

Edit: Note to self: If going outside when it’s below 17F/-8C, do not eat ice cream first! Wait until after you come back in. :cold_face: :grinning:

Seems like they’ve been working on this for 10 years. Every time I used to go through, they were working on a different section. Really good restaurant at Dallas Pike exit off of I70.

:clock2:::arrows_clockwise:

This weekend again the clocks change.

Saskatchewan is the only province in Canada that does not follow DST, so we don’t change our clocks!

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/canada

I got to thinking about orange barrel season. Here in New York the posted speed limit is greatly reduced in the work areas. Get caught speeding in a construction zone (there’s a lot of NYS Police around them) and your fine is doubled. Get caught a second time and it’s tripled. Get caught a 3rd time and your license is revoked… no ifs, ands, nor buts. Why can’t they do that with DWIs? Seems like every time you see someone on the news who got into an accident while DWI has had multiple DWIs offenses! Something’s not working here. And it usually takes a fatality before something gets done… or the politicians “go through the motions” to make it seem like they’re actually doing something to fix this.

I can remember many years ago, if someone stopped at a sobriety check point seemed to have had a little too much to drink, their car was towed to the impound garage, the driver ticketed and went sent home in a taxicab. The next day the driver could go to the police station to retrieve his keys, pay the towing/impound fees and be on his way. That was way back in time. Of course that was just for those who were deemed a little impaired. If you were stone drunk, this type of treatment wasn’t even within consideration. How times have changed… in some ways, but not in others. :thinking:

Can you imagine not stepping on Lego on the floor?

After posting to another thread, I got to thinking about how we English speakers use little “twists” and/or “stretching” of words that non-English speakers could/would be confused by. For instance, I used the long, drawn out written version of the word “so” (as “sooo…”). I’ve also used “no” in the same way. I’m sure there are many other words that we play with as we write, but some of them may actually confused our non-English speaking members. Maybe I (we) should consider this when we play with our own language? :thinking:

This was such a close call for the pilot and the driver…

Flown into there many times… That airport is starting to get crowded out… when I was flying, there were small buildings and not so many roads… now the area is getting developed heavily and the buildings won’t have made the air any smoother… but prone to turbulence… I have to look at that in GE because it has been almost nine years since I drove by there in a car… barely looks like what it did then… my airport where I trained was further west and was closed and gone by the time I left Toronto area… Never did like the way the city eats up the smaller airfields… Buttonville grew up and expanded but was under pressure to close even in the late nineties… but has survived… Seneca College ran a commercial flying program out of there, and the Air Ambulance base was there… both helped save the operation… For a long time it was the busiest airport in Canada… in terms of takeoff / landings. Not sure these days… I seem to remember the encroaching development (homes) demanded restrictions on operations.

Edit: been doing some looking… the plane is north of the local road 73 / 16th ave I think…

This is the north end of runway 33… first guess is that they were losing power on take off and following the old rule for takeoff… power loss on takeoff, less than 500 ft… STRAIGHT Ahead…
It is not absolute though… small discrepancies are allowed… such as when really low and faced with a lamp standard which is straight inline with the runway center line… the fact that they were low enough to drag a wing on the road says he wasn’t very high to start with… I can see that the car driver saw it coming before it shows on the camera shot… he was already slowing down to clear it… the car ahead kept accelerating. I’ve been doing a GE shot showing the line of estimated positions. from the video.
Given a typical glide ratio for various GA aircraft… 7:1 is fairly average… more if the engine is helping.
but given he is almost on the ground, that ratio would say it was about 50 feet up as far back as the runway threshold marker… on the runway… but that is a rough calculation… but I don’t know why he was there in the first place… but it wasn’t a landing error I think… wrong direction… the plane came from the runway… direction… more later.

Edit again: It was a touch and go that went sour… do a landing and take off again without stopping.
Still waiting to see more detail, but both instructor and student walked away… I’m guessing the wingtip drag started to skew it around and bounced the wingtip up when it hit the curbing… big credit likely goes to the live brush it harvested at the end… off camera… That’s what happened to me when I crashed the Jimmy… drove through the two trees and ended up lifted up by some scrub brush I mowed down and it pushed back but upwards lifted the wheels off the ground. There will be a report.

My random thought is I have no random thought today. However, I do have a question about web pages.

England 38, Scotland 38. A fantastic come-back by Scotland, having been 31-7 down at half-time, helps them to retain the Rugby Union Calcutta Cup! YES!

@Thistle I’ll have to see if I can find an online replay… sounds like a good match.
I’ve started watching the local Sevens in Vancouver the last few years… but don’t really follow it.

But a good one is always worth watching. Thanks for the information.

Thank goodness April the giraffe had her baby - 105 lbs/47.6 kg, 5’11"/180 cm tall. Now Donna won’t be commandeering my laptop. She did watch the baby drop (born) on my laptop. Once the front legs and head came out… plop! The baby just dropped down to the ground. Oh… and it was a boy. I guess most everyone on Donna’s Facebook feed was hoping for a girl.
Now to buy Donna a new iPad battery since she wore her down so much and now it take forever to charge and discharges fairly rapidly. Unless that was because of her having that live feed running 18 hours a day. :rofl:

I watched the first one she had…that was enough! :giraffe: