2019 May - Cyclone hits coast south of Kolkata, West Bengal, India

From article linked below:

Rohingya refugees at risk from the storm

Aid agencies feared that one million Rohingya refugees, a minority group who fled persecution in neighboring Myanmar and now live in makeshift settlements in the low-lying area of Cox’s Bazaar in Bangladesh, were at risk from the cyclone. The United Nations refugee agency said it had positioned emergency tents in the Bangladesh camps.

The aid agency CARE, which works in the area, said Friday that the risk was high.

“The densely populated Rohingya refugee camps in Cox’s Bazaar are susceptible to deadly mudslides triggered by torrential rainfall,” said Zia Choudary, the country director of CARE Bangladesh. “The concentration of the one million displaced Rohingya people in Cox’s Bazaar is now among the densest in the world and, even if the region is not hit directly, the impacts of Cyclone Fani will create havoc.”

The storm was expected make landfall in Bangladesh early Saturday.

3 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

An amazingly successful evacuation effort and pre-prepared emergency shelters seems to have prevented a much larger loss of life. Well done, India.

4 Likes

For some reason, I cannot see evacuating a million people happening here in the U.S.A. - I think more people would be killed in traffic accidents than from a storm. :neutral_face::neutral_face:

4 Likes

And in the west I wonder if we would obey instructions to evacuate? I think the success of the evacuation says a lot about the country and about the people.

5 Likes

You’ve got that right. Just this morning I watched a driver try to drive around a flag person who had a street blocked off (construction going on) and was redirecting traffic. The idiot “wanted and insisted” they go the way they wanted. The flag person made the driver turn around and take the detour just like everyone else. There’s always going to be people like that… don’t like taking orders and don’t want to be “inconvenienced.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I think Fort McMurray proved in an emergency, if everyone cooperates, many people can be evacuated quickly. More than 88,000 people made it out of the fire.

5 Likes

https://www.space.com/cyclone-fani-from-space.html

5 Likes

EDIT:

5 Likes