2019 Meteors and Sky Watching

DOn’t forget to mark your calendars… 16th of April the Lyrid meteor shower starts! Hopefully no clouds for this shower.

3 Likes

It will snow on you that night. :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t doubt it. We did have snow showers and flurries most of the day yesterday and flurries once this morning. It’s still trying to make things white, but that awful sun keeps on interfering with winter. Bad sun! Bad! :laughing:

2 Likes
4 Likes

22 Days and counting for the Lyrid meteor shower. And Mother Nature better not be saying, “Bring in the clouds!” :grimacing:

4 Likes

Yes this will sneak up on us…April 23rd peaks…

5 Likes

:angry: If it’s not Mother Nature with her clouds during meteor showers, it’s the Moon! :angry:

5 Likes

I was just checking the extended forecast for my area and I’m looking at rain (read: clouds!) for the 15th, 16th, and maybe the 17th! It better be clear for the 22nd through the 24th! :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Right now the 17th, 18th, 20th, and 22nd seem to be the best nights on the extended forecast for me to see Lyrids. We definitely are forecast for lots of rain that part of the month, which is good, because our snow is gone, and the farmers need more moisture for their crops.

3 Likes

Keeping an eye on the weather for the upcoming meteor shower, our extended forecast isn’t too bad. But it usually changes. Partly cloudy for the first 2 nights, then clouds Friday night, rain Sat. night with clearing on Easter Sunday. Back to partly cloudy for the following Monday. :worried:

2 Likes

I’m hoping our clouds clear also. We have rain Monday. But partial cloud the rest of the week. !

53%20AM

2 Likes

Tonight it cleared up beautifully… plenty of stars! I also found out what time the meteors streak across the sky… when I go inside. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :rofl: I was outside several times up until 4:45 AM and never saw one. I realize this isn’t the peak, but oh come one… none? :unamused:

3 Likes

Just because you went out at that time, they should have shown themselves!!! Only fair!!!
We start out sunny and I am hoping, and then we start to cloud over. We are cloudy right now this morning, so we will see as the day wears on. I am aiming for the 22nd - 24rd as I think our rain will have moved out by then.

2 Likes

It looks like I may have a chance for two night night, but they’ll be partly cloudy. It also looks like we’re in for more rain than previous forecast. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Cycled home from the city in the dark. Could see the moon pretty well through thin cloud but too much cloud to see most of the stars.

4 Likes

Planned on watching for the first few arrivals to zip through the few wispy clouds. My son showed up with all 3 granddaughters at 4:15 PM. After walking with the 1-yr old around the house, up and down the steep hill behind it (3x), gone for walks up and down the street (2x), and chasing her sisters and two little girls from the dead end street (with the 1-yr old in tow), I just happened to lie down after dinner (the girls left at 6:05 PM) and fell asleep. Woke up at 4:15 AM to a sky full of clouds. At 4:25 a light rain started falling. No meteors for me. I blew it! :unamused:

2 Likes

We had three different sets of rain yesterday. I went out to take photos of the dark clouds moving in over the city at 5 pm. and then it mostly cleared. About 8:30 p.m. we had another, and again it partly cleared and by midnight we had another coming in…and I thought…“this is not going to be the night”

3 Likes

There’s still time before the peak on April 22/23…
We have a beautiful cloudless night tonight (I may go outside later and see if I can spot some early arrivals) - what is the betting that on “peak” night, it’s cloudy?

3 Likes

Not for me. :sob: Look what they did to my meteor watching! Clouds, clouds, and more clouds… rain included. Arrrgh!

3 Likes

Oooh, that’s not a good forecast!
:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: they’ve got the forecast very wrong!

3 Likes