2019 Notre Dame fire

From The Atlantic photo gallery.
Some jaw dropping photos.

5 Likes
2019 - April 1st to June 30th - Random Thoughts

Thanks @kateg. I have family there. He has been tweeting photos also. Devastating. I was fortunate to visit and take in its glory.

5 Likes

Devastating, and as so many mentioned just before the Easter celebrations. They will rebuild, but as one of my family members who lives there said: “I will not see it in my lifetime”.

5 Likes

The golden altar cross remains…

5 Likes

And I’ve seen that at least two of the stained glass rose windows have also survived…

5 Likes

I have photos of those…amazing!

5 Likes

They are beautiful. It’s one of those places I will now always regret not going to see…

5 Likes

The Presidents time line may change - 5 years to rebuild - as engineers go through the shell of Notre Dame. Below other sites that have been rebuilt after being destroyed by fire.

5 Likes

The view ahead taken by presidents - and politicians in general - is limited to their possible term of office.

5 Likes

I think they also have a goal in mind of the summer Olympics due to be held in Paris in 2024…

5 Likes

Can they afford both the Olympics and the rebuild? I think I’m glad I’m not a French taxpayer.

4 Likes

I didn’t know earlier why they were saying 5 years until it is rebuilt…this makes sense…they are aiming to have it reopened in time for all of the visitors involved in the Olympics.
I agree @Thistle, can you imagine the costs passed along to the taxpayer.

5 Likes

A couple billionaires and some companies pledged over $900 million.

" The billionaire François-Henri Pinault announced plans to pledge €100 million towards renovation and called for a joint effort to fund repairs.[55] Soon after, LVMH owner and billionaire Bernard Arnault and his family pledged another €200 million for the restoration of “this extraordinary cathedral, which was a symbol of France, of its heritage and of French unity”.[56] Video game company Ubisoft also pledged €500,000 to Notre Dame’s reconstruction.[57]" From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris#2019_fire
https://people.com/travel/1-billion-donated-to-notre-dame-in-two-days-after-massive-fire-ravaged-paris-cathedral/

There’s something chillingly-sweet about singing in honor of your church. What faith!

5 Likes
5 Likes

DigitalGlobe post on Facebook:

“Our WorldView-2 satellite captured the aftermath of the recent #NotreDame fire that destroyed parts of the cathedral in Paris, France. This image was taken today, April 17, 2019 (bottom). You can clearly see the burned center portion where the spire used to be as well as crowds gathered along the Seine River. The before image (top) is from September 2, 2018.”

bottom

5 Likes

I wish them the best but I do hope they don’t try to rush the restoration just for the sake of a one-time event (Olympics). The old adage, “Haste makes waste,” will be sitting over their heads and could come back to haunt them in the future. It was built “right” and it should be rebuild “right.” Care should be taken in with each and every joint - stone, and especially with wood. When first built, I believe they took the time necessary to build to last - which it did indeed. When I’ve looked at more modern work - especially a lot of “recent” work - I’ve discovered shortcuts that were taken, joints that don’t fit “just quite right,” etc… It took many years to build this, but to simply say we will rebuild it in “x” number of years is truly wishful thinking and could be a damper on the quality of the restoration. I vote for doing it right.

4 Likes

I reckon that goes for any job. Do it right the first time and the result will look better, work better and last better. In the long run it will also be better for your pocket.

5 Likes

Because of the scale of this project - and what it means to both the French people and the world - they should take their time and do the cathedral justice. I truly hope that’s what they do. Looking at all the unused Olympic stadiums around the world falling into ruins, I can’t justify rushing to rebuild Notre Dame just so it’s “ready” for the Olympics. People do understand. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think income is more of a concern …there are normally 13 million visitors a year, with fee payments for either a Paris Pass or the tower and crypt fees. With the Olympics that would increase substantially.

“Admission to Notre Dame is free, but visitors will need tickets to enter the tower (€8.50) and the crypt (€6). Access to both is included in the price of the Paris Pass”

5 Likes

I don’t know how long it takes for a country to pay off all the debts associated with staging an Olympics event? The UK may not have finished paying for London 2012 yet, for all I know…:unamused:

I totally agree with you Jim! If a job is worth doing, it’s worth doing well…

My guess (if they do opt for a proper non-rushed rebuild) is that they will find a way of re-opening as much as they can to the public (for example, the crypt) as soon as they can find a safe way to do it.
They’ll probably also have an ongoing exhibition of the rescued artworks which should raise some of their much-needed income…

4 Likes