2019 - Plastic Waste and Recycling

I have bags of bags-- mostly yellow, blue, and gray. One store has see-through with writing. Been wondering how I’d hide the knots linking the strips. Ideas?

3 Likes

Not sure yet how to hide the knots, I’ve not really had time to look into the idea any further (the weather has been too good here to waste!). When I work something out, I’ll let you know!

3 Likes

I wonder if it is achievable in that time period…

3 Likes

Interesting points…

3 Likes

Lots of talk today online, radio, TV, etc about banning any new plastics. Any plastic used, from a certain date, must be made from recycled plastic. Plastic, we thought, made our lives convenient. Actually I found it easier to rinse out the glass milk bottle, or the beer bottles, pop bottles, and return them where you purchased them. The system was simple, but it worked.

Another conversation today was out of BC. They said there are one million cans that are purchased in that province that never make it back to recycling. That means they are in the bush, garbage, etc.

4 Likes

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: Vehicles_Abandoned, Not Roadworthy, Repaired

@cageycat It is possible for both to occur… cans and cars… my landlord is coming to grips with a vehicle (SUV) that was left here over two years ago when the owner moved out… we have had several managers in that time frame… but each tried to let the guy come and get his vehicle… soon to be towed…

On the topic… one abandoned vehicle, some of the ladies here collect and cash in refundables for the sloths that live here… and the manager offered them the bags of cans / bottles that stuffed the car full…
Between the two of them… 10 large leaf bags of cans / bottles… some were ineligible… out of province / country alcohol sale… but each managed around 24 dollars each for their 5 bags… somehow I got to drive them up… although only one needed me this time the other got a ride from her daughter… ha.

One thing that I wondered… as I saw but didn’t read that article here… was that they did say they were missing cans… I don’t remember if they said refundables… (some things are recyclable only) or if they meant all cans… as I can say that there are lots of abandoned tin cans from beans, soup etc out there in the wild… often shot up or burned… I also know one area near Kelowna where a canyon is full of vehicle wrecks below the road on both rims… kids steal them and run them into the ground and push them over the edge… I guess no one wants to pay for them to be removed… and I wonder how much oil product is waiting to leak out into the small river, which flows into another and so forth to Okanagan lake. People just talk about the shame and move on… I don’t know why they would be impossible to deal with… especially if not in one piece… tow trucks would not be first choice, but there are other means to disassemble. Shame.

4 Likes

This article says “DAILY” one million …

4 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s something quite alarming. Bio-degradable bags not degrading as they thought!

4 Likes

I actually saw this on TV.

The cycle continues. We buy cheap products from those two particular countries, they use lots of plastic, and it ships and the plastic then becomes discarded in our country. Unless we stop buying from them, this will not change.
They have demanded that the rest of the world pay them to clean up their plastic. We know that will not happen, so we have to stop the process through the supply and demand. Stop the demand.

Buy locally buy compostable…pay a little more to save the planet.

5 Likes

I remember when “blister packs” first came out. Whomever the person was that came up with that idea should have had his hands slapped! Those are the most aggravating things in the world! The idea of “seal it in plastic” became all too common for products because the product is clearly visible and it inhibited theft of parts. But look at what the eventual cost to the environment it became.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve noticed that with some of the supposedly compostable bags used in the house to line the caddy. Even after going through the compost heap TWICE (over a couple of years), they’ve broken into smaller fragments, but they’re still recognisable for what they are!

5 Likes

I agree. I think companies have gotten around the words “compostable and biodegradable” by changing the process slightly, but in the end that may meet the requirements of the law, but it does not actually decompose in the landfill. Laws will need to get strictly to make that happen.

5 Likes

Some of our bags (mainly plastic, some supposedly compostable) used to say “degradable”, in the hope that people would mistake it for “BIOdegradable”. They weren’t lying, just hoping people wouldn’t notice the difference.

5 Likes

Very sneaky, and probably many fell for it.

5 Likes

Even with the “flushable” wipes, the experts said that the industry uses a process that is not “real world” to break down their wipes. Years after the researchers tried breaking them down, they were still completely whole. They plug up the sewer lines - especially at the treatment plants where the flow is slowed down considerably. I saw a photo of one treatment plant employee using a pitch fork to scoop a big pile of the wipes away from a piece of equipment. Awful!

5 Likes

Yes we both saw that one earlier. They had another news show about them. Same thing as @Helen is saying about “degradable”…people thought “flushable” meant they would disappear and break down. Remember the jar with the wipe in it that had been there since 2013…nothing changed in that period.

5 Likes

The way I’ve always looked at wipes is they’re wet so obviously they don’t disintegrate when wet as tissue would. They don’t tear when using them, tough enough that your finger doesn’t even go through them as it would with tissue paper, so how the heck are they supposed to “bio-degrade” ? :thinking:

Same apply with kitchen roll, the kind that you can wet and wring out, they’re not going to bio-degrade either.

5 Likes