2019 - Plastic Waste and Recycling

Years ago when she chased and caught me we’d roll in the grass. Now when she chases and catches me I get the rolling pin. How times have changed! :rofl: (She really doesn’t hit… until I tell her that I tell everyone she does. :laughing:)

You… rolled in the grass…??? :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: How did you ever get down there? and back up??

Remember? Now did I have to lean on her to get back up? :thinking: :smiley:

EDIT: Anyone have any suggestions for “types of” “produce reusable bags” that are strong and you are able to scan the produce tag through the mesh?

produce%20bags

What about @Helen using them for her soiled laundry while she’s out gallivanting… er… on holiday?

@cageycat using them for her bag of catnip for making her catnip tea.

For storing small, seasonal stuffed animals.

For my collection of caps from many different industries, political, etc. (and the ones with crazy sayings my kids got me over the years).

As flexible “travel bags” for personal items (another one for @Helen :wink:).

For freezing snow for the off-season (this ones for me). :laughing:

Edit: What about when you go to the store and buy more produce. Have them put them in the sack as you’re cashing out.?

Or for holding cleaning rags such as old cotton shirts. (My parents had a big denim sack with a denim strap (homemade on the sewing machine) hanging in the hall between the kitchen door and the door leading out to the back porch. It held rags for painting, working on the lawn mower, washing bicycles and the car, etc.)

Ok I edited my original question as I see you took this in a whole other direction…but good suggestions!

I nearly fell for your original post too, until I saw your edit :laughing:
But it’s a good question that I have no answer for myself.

I can’t think how it could work scanning through the bag itself; would the mesh break up the bar code.
And most supermarkets that used the barcode price ticket printing scales for loose fruit/veg, where those bags would work successfully, have been done away with; in favour of the checkout scales with touch-screen selection options which don’t require barcodes. I think maybe that’s why they’ve introduced them. I don’t think anything in the fruit/veg section of supermarkets here use barcodes anymore so I’ve never had an issue with these bags :thinking:

We have those stickers on the produce that have the four digit number to price the product. Some of the bags you cannot read the sticker through the mesh as the material is too heavy and you end up opening the bag and taking each piece of produce out. A sure sign you will not continue to use the produce bag on a regular basis.

Because were trying to eliminate plastic bags in the uk, most shops/supermarkets are half’n’half…half loose, half pre-packaged in plastic :roll_eyes: I prefer lose, that way I can buy just the quantity I need with no waste :wink:

We are moving towards less packaging…but a slow process. The Coop grocery stores provide the most loose produce, and they are starting to move towards other products (mostly dry) in bulk form versus packaged.

In 2019 I would like to get to the point where I don’t use plastic bags for anything…whether produce, baking products, the local Walmart…anywhere. Our local recycling no longer takes plastic bags, and therefore they are going back into the landfill…a step backwards.

Yes, there’s still no avoiding plastic packaging. I go shopping with my own bags including those you showed above, what seems odd though is despite the campaigns for less plastic bags, supermarkets are opting to pre-packaging everything rather than encourage or even sell those type of reusable mesh bags. What we gain on the swings we’re losing on the roundabouts :confounded: :roll_eyes:

My library has a self checkout where you can place a whole stack of books under the scanner and it will read “through” the books and catch all of the barcodes. I have no idea how that works.

Oh I wish, ours you have to scan the individual books :roll_eyes: Well, it was more of a chore when the children were small, because they’d get out 8 books each…and any more than that would go on my card :dizzy_face:

split this topic #34

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Children: What they say… What they do

Seems on target so far…hopefully that continues …plastic especially. …I hope the rest of us can follow the same success rate…http://chronicle.gi/2019/02/uk-not-track-recycle-50-household-waste-2020/

Of course we’re not on target…what a waste of time and money that report must have been to produce. We only have to lift the lids of our bins destined for the land fill to know we’re not on target.

But then, when local councils doing deals under the table issuing 25 year contracts to recycle plants to take our recyclable plastics, only for the plant to refuse anything other than the high quality plastics, what can they expect and that’s what we pay our taxes on…dirty deals!

We can only recycle plastic bottles, toothpaste tubes and disposable razors! Basically!
Yoghurt pots, ice-cream tubs, those big plastic sweet tubs you get a Christmas full of Quality Street, and any other type of recyclable plastic has to go into the regular waste bin destined for landfill! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: It’s all just another money making scam in my view.

oh that’s too bad…we did talk about them only taking certain plastics a few months ago, but I didn’t realize the extent.

You are right, what a waste of time and money on the report when it doesn’t reflect the actual situation.

We can add these to our blue bins…cleaned…They changed ours this week to finally include a new “glass program”. First the blue bin took it, then they stopped, then no one took glass and it went back to the landfill…now it is going to the bottle recycling and they started to take all glass products this week. I hope this continues.

CBC Marketplace recently had a program about produce packaging and comparison’s to UK’s changes…here is the article:

Over here in New York state - not sure about the rest of the country - we’re told we can’t recycle food/beverage containers (especially those foods that come on the black plastic with plastic film over them. Huh? We’ve always washed out - even scrubbed them clean when necessary - and recycled them. This must have come about because too many people are too darn lazy to wash them and had been putting “dirty” plastic in the recycling. These dirty items breed mold. Maybe that’s part of the reason China stopped taking in the world’s recyclables. They did state that it was for the health of their people as well as an environmental concern - too much non-recyclables mixed in. You can’t make a quality recycled product if the material to be used is contaminated (dirty). So… I can say it was our own fault this happened. We bite off our noses to spite our faces. :unamused:

Before my town had to shut down our landfill - which by the way was lauded as a “model” landfill by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (EnCon) - we had separate bins for each of the numbered plastics (1 through 7). Used/left over latex paints were collected and any paint still in “liquid” form was poured into large plastic barrels and mixed together. Color selection not guaranteed. :laughing: Residents could come and get paint for no cost to use on out buildings - interior and exterior latex paints were kept separated. Everything was running smoothly until, suddenly (after a new person was put in charge of EnCon), we were told the trash could not be higher than 3’/1 metre before we had to cover it. The trash was always about 20’-25’/6-7.6 metres deep before we covered it. We had enough shale - by their own engineers estimate - to last us 7 years before any more had to be blasted and pushed up with a bulldozer. We ran out of shale in the 3rd year. At this same time, we were watching videos of landfills in New York City where their trash was 35’/10.7 metres deep! Suddenly EnCon told us we had to close our landfill - at a cost of US$2.5 million to the local taxpayers. Now our residents - who used to bring their trash and recycling to the landfill, have to pay (monthly) rubbish companies - oops… “waste management companies” to be politically correct - to collect our trash/recyclables. Our landfill budget came out of our town taxes. And where does our trash end up? At the City of Albany landfill - which is just about at full capacity. And where does the city want to build a new landfill? Right here in our town! :confused: But they want to build it over an aquifer! Their excuse is that it is not a big aquifer so it shouldn’t matter. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Tell that to the local people there who only have wells for their water supply! And that ground water does make its way down to the Hudson River just above here. How they figured this one out is beyond logic. Anyway, the town always had a local law which forbid the import of out-of-town rubbish. After many years of court battles, the city put their plans on hold. It’s been over 20 years now and the city hasn’t brought this up again. Are we safe for now? Who knows?

As one old-timer in the environmental business said many years ago, “All landfills will fail eventually.” They will develop leaks either in the bottom or in the sides. It could be caused by ground movement or even faulty construction of the clay lining. But eventually they will fail. “Out of sight, out of mind” doesn’t work here because it will be our future generations that will have to deal with another pollution source. :slightly_frowning_face:

And those single-use plastic bags (#2 film)? When they were first developed and pushed to the grocery chains, the environmental impact was brought up at the time. Their response was that if the bags were exposed to high temperatures - such as a commercial burner - the result would be water vapor. Huh? You get water vapor from plastic? :rofl: Wow! Ship the bags to a dessert country then! They could use the water. Yeah, right! I’m sure money greased some palms and these bags swiftly became the norm for every type of business to use - until now.

Edit:

We always recycled glass - except for window panes. I can remember many years ago TV commercials touting that “glass recycles”. Companies wanted to recycle glass because it was less energy intensive to reuse glass than to mine the sand, heat it and make new glass. You used fuel in the mining of sand, the transporting of it, and in the heating and forming of new glass. We still recycle glass. Decades before there was a deposit on metal beverage containers, there was always a deposit on glass bottles (milk, soda, beer, etc.). Beverage companies would commercially clean and sanitize the bottles and reuse them. Chipped or broken bottles would be recycled. (My DIL gets their milk from a local dairy who delivers to her door once a week… milk in reusable glass bottles.)

Twenty-some years ago we used to use bits of “old” broken window glass on the roller table of the gradall when the rollers started to become worn and would sometimes slide on the turn table as the machine would turn side to side. The glass would break up and collect in the flat spot and provide the necessary grit for the worn roller(s) to turn instead of slide (and wear deeper flat spots in the roller(s)). A very cheap solution to replacing very expensive rollers. Newer window glass wasn’t used. I guess it was because of the glazing that was added to it. That kind of prevented it from pulverizing and separating. Oh well, it was an old hack we used back then. :wink:

In New York state all stores that use the plastic bags are required by law to take them from customers (and non-customers) for recycling. Our “waste management” company that comes weekly at the house to collect our rubbish and recycling will not accept them in the recycling bin they provide. Too many people are simply putting them in with their regular trash which heads to the landfill. Guess they’re too lazy to return them to a supermarket or any other store. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

…Morrisons, another large British chain, has banned single-use plastic bags and allows customers to bring reusable containers for meat and fish. The company has also removed packaging from fruit and vegetables on a trial basis in some stores…

Well that’s a lie :angry: In our local Morrisons, at the same time they banned the single use bags, they started cutting their shelves of the lose fruit and veg in favour of the pre-packaged stuff :astonished:
Ok so they said ‘…on a trial basis in some stores…’ I guess our branch must be the prime candidate for testing the opposite is accepted…just as our local council halved the size of our bins for waste destined for landfill :confounded:

Mind you, I think the manager of the store must be delusional, introducing Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras in the car park, even introducing a really stupid rule that you can’t return for 3hrs after you’ve left the car park. So if you get home from shopping and find you’ve forgotten something, you can’t just nip back down again, you have to wait 3hrs or you’ll get a parking ticket :astonished: It’s starting to drive custom away because another smaller supermarket opened up at the other end of the village, so we just nip down there instead :rofl: