2019 Rock Our World (geology)

2019 Rock Our World (geology)

3 Likes
2019 Peeling Tectonic plate

There are geologists at my place of employment (which will not be named), who, after they retire, VOLUNTEER for decades. They are so devoted to their work for this country that they continue until their 80s and 90s. I know of three emeritus scientists who literally died in their office working on what they loved to do and felt was vital work benefiting the people of the U.S. It tears me apart when people say “oh, they’re just getting a paid holiday right now. Those lazy government employees” I just would like say to say we are not lazy, we do want to work. We are penalized if it shows up that we used our key card to access our office while this is going on. (Don’t know what the penalty is, but don’t want to lose my job finding out.)

4 Likes

Hey @kateg I haven’t forgotten about your post. Not well enough to reply though. Head hurts.

4 Likes

@cageycat I hope you feel better soon. Here’s a nice cup of catnip tea :coffee: :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Need all the tea I can get. Cats get nasty colds (aaaa…choo!) and are miserable when coughing. That’s me!

4 Likes

Kate, it’s like that in all levels of government. People complain here about state workers and “all the money they’re taking in” when in fact they are not being paid that much at all - except at the higher levels of government. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: In the State Dept. of Transportation (DOT), all it takes here is for one person to drive by and see a crew sitting in their vehicles and that person will complain that they “never” do any work - that their jobs should be privatized. Heaven forbid the crew gets a coffee break or lunch break! Same goes for municipal employees.
I know of several state and local government employees who do work at home (unpaid) so when they get back on the job they’re able to perform whatever they need to do faster and with more accuracy. They also help solving problems - at home - which would have taken a lot longer if they were confined to working on them strictly on the job. Some people have attended local government meetings (town hall) to “suggest” solutions to problems that haven’t yet been solved by those currently in the work ranks. I believe that there are more people doing this than anyone will ever be aware of.

4 Likes

Must admit I haven’t paid much attention to any news over this holiday period, but you’ve just had me reading up on this. Don’t want to start a political discussion on here but…eek :grimacing: I can appreciate where you’re coming from Kateg :worried:

4 Likes

Hopefully as of the changes yesterday, the shut down is reversed.

4 Likes
3 Likes

That’s exactly what I heard while listening to NPR (Nat’l Public Radio) a few days ago.

3 Likes

…and we’re back open, ready to work on Monday for the people of the U.S. :grin::grin::grin:
I feel a huge weight lifted!

3 Likes

Yeah… for 3 weeks (Feb 13). Then the BS starts again… :unamused:
But the good part is that you’ll get back pay and a few more checks. :wink: I happy you’re not bored anymore. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! lol

:cat: nip :tea:

3 Likes
split this topic #15

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2019 - Jan to June - Random Thoughts

That rocks @kateg!!!

3 Likes

It was said before if there’s no money in the budget for the wall then Congress was just wasting their time - and the Government would shut down the again. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How far behind did you get in your job? I saw that the CBO (Congressional Budget Office) said this shut down has cost the economy almost 4 billion dollars (almost half of what was wanted for the wall) and has raised the deficit to almost a trillion dollars already. Deficit rising faster than first thought.

4 Likes

@kateg…I hope for your sake, this stall in talks, does not cause another “off work time” for you!

Just to keep on topic…Snow is “rocking our area”!!!

4 Likes

Thanks. I am keeping my fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

and because this is the Rock category:

4 Likes

From the article above, I learned a new verb!

“The Apollo astronauts, geologizing in February 1971 near the Fra Mauro crater, inadvertently collected it and repatriated it to the planet on which it once originated.”

I love it. Next time I go out in the field, I’ll be geologizing :rofl:
It is actually in the dictionary, but in the many years of being a geologist, I have NEVER heard this word used. :nerd_face:
UPDATE:
I just googled “geologizing” and the first non-definition/dictionary type result (about 15 entries down the page) is an article, also in Forbes magazine, by the same author, about “geologizing women” :joy:

From the above article:
One major excuse to prevent women engaging in geology included the field gear, considered inappropriate for a women. The fully equipped manly geologist was sometimes a reason for distrust by the locals. If he dressed poorly or returned from field work covered with dirt or dust, it could happen that he got arrested as a tramp. When he appeared dressy, like a rich gentleman, there was the danger to become a victim of robbery or even murder.

In every case, a male geologist had to wear cylinder and tailcoat in the field and women dressed according to the most recent fashion, with “cages” and “horrid iron girdles 'round their legs,” as geologist Roderick Murchison notes on his wife Charlotte Hugonin in 1850, who accompanied him during his fieldtrips. The depiction by contemporary geologist Henry De la Beche (1796-1855) of Mary Anning gives us a good impression how a woman geologist dressed at these times.

“Hammer in hand; Mary is depicted wearing sturdy boots or clogs, heavy clothing and a top hat, the protective clothing of a working-class woman. Top hats, made of felted wool repeatedly coated with shellac until quite stiff, might appear oddly formal today, but they were the crash helmets of the time and were worn by many geologists when they were doing fieldwork in order to provide protection from falling rocks.” (Quote from GOODHUE 2005.)

Cartoon by Henry Thomas De la Beche of Mary Anning working in protective gear. Image in public domain.H.T. DE LA BECHE

The discrimination based on clothing persisted until the late 19th century. With the introduction of sports gear and the increasing acceptance by society of a geologist’s appearance, soon more practical wardrobe became prevalent and also dressed women could move more freely and engage in geology.

David Bressan

David BressanContributor
I’m a freelance geologist working mostly in the Eastern Alps. I graduated in 2007 with a project studying how permafrost, that´s frozen soil, is reacting to the more visible recent changes of the alpine environment. Studying therefore old maps, photographs and reports, I became interested in the history of geology and how early geologists figured out how earth works, blogging about it in my spare time. Living in one of the classic areas of early geological research, I combine field trips with the historic maps, figures and research done there. But geology is more than a historic or local science, as geological forces shaped and still influence history worldwide.

4 Likes