2019 Space's trashy spaces

The RemoveDEBRIS satellite shoots its onboard harpoon to puncture a target panel that’s about five feet away. (Photo Credit: University of Surrey)

Earth is filled with so much of trash and people are here investing so much into cleaning up the space junk.

P.S. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love technology.

It’s getting close quarters up there, with billion dollar satellites moving in the junk fields. That includes DigitalGlobe’s now-spiraling WV4. :frowning:

There’s at least 1 company cleaning the oceans for 1 year now.

The earth problem must rely on education and recycling. :smile:

What gets me is how the British satellite harpooned the space junk… from 5 feet away. That’s some pretty impressive maneuvering to get within 5 feet while matching the velocity as well. What would happen if while trying to harpoon a piece of space junk, the harpoon deflects off a hardened part… a corner or such… and doesn’t take hold, but instead knocks the space junk from it’s present orbit into one unknown - and hopefully not into the path of an active satellite. I wondered if an electromagnet may work, but then I figured everything must be made out of aluminum or an aluminum-titanium alloy and is non-ferrous. Netting does seem to be okay, as long as they can net the small stuff that can do major damage.
And now they want to put up 12000+ cubesats for Internet? That’s a lot more things flying around as well as debris from the launch vehicles. At the rate they’re going, they’ll either be blocking out the sun or at least making colorful prisms in the sky. :grinning:

Much easier to do when the target is mounted to the satellite doing the shooting… I haven’t looked at this version, but when it was first featured on line they stated that was the case… they were testing the penetration on a known material… just saying.

As for the cubesats, that I assume is for one company… big question is how many other states or companies want the same market presence… who gets the best ‘level’… for example… I can see one level or layer of sats shielding out other layers higher up… but eventually they would eithe knock one another out of orbit, block solar cells from light etc… then there is the matter of interference to the signals… Someone a few years ago tried very hard to claim a frequency area for their cell phone business… and the FCC agreed to let them… however the unused frequency band was reserved for weak signal satellite links only… worldwide… mostly by GPS satellites and ground stations related to that… Needless to say the USAirForce had a lot to say about that… it wasn’t the sat stations that suffered…but that group had really strong ground stations… proposed… that would have been really disruptive to GPS navigation systems… The testing was allowed and then the whole system was ‘shot down’ so to speak before that became the real world case… The fact is that there is little support or practical means for such systems… pure data nets for internet are more likely, but the case for the upload and ground sides are limited by physics… I suspect… There is a good market for so called femto cells on the ground though… in fact I think the same tech is what was proposed for the cubesats… anyway I have to go out.