2019 Surgeries Therapies Recoveries

Off to take photos …won’t have much chance in the coming week. No drivers license! Although I am hoping to progress enough to get mine back by 4-5 weeks.

5 Likes

How many times do we have to tell you, “Keep it under 160 kph!” :wink:

I don’t remember if I had previously mentioned it or not, but our resident chipmunk’s little ones finally showed themselves a couple of days ago. We happened to notice a chipmunk slightly smaller (but not by much) than the other and more tan than brown. This morning when momma chipmunk was filling her cheek pouches, three heads popped up from their entrance in the driveway and they sat around the opening looking around. An hour later, momma seemed to be chasing one away. It was too hard to tell if that was poppa chipmunk or not, but she did chase him about 30’/10 m and sat there staring. (I wonder if it was just an argument over who’s going to watch the kids during Sunday football.)

Around 8 AM this morning a long, stretched out formation of about 120+ Canada geese fly directly over my house as I was feeding the birds. They were so low I could hear the beating of their wings which was fairly loud. It seemed like each and every one felt the need to “honk” - as it was non-stop until they reached the mouth of the Coeymans Creek where it empties into the river. More to come… have to have a cup of coffee with my bride - who finally climbed out of bed at 9:20 AM. (She keeps “banker’s hours”. :shushing_face:)

5 Likes

Yeah unfortunately it is an automatic suspension with this surgery. Besides my right knee. Up to GP/;physio to decide whether I have healed prior to that 6 week period, otherwise ortho gives it back then.

5 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

The last knee surgery I had (investigation and quick clean-up) was on my left knee. Advice was that it would be at least two weeks until I could drive again, as I had to be able to do an emergency stop safely.
My response to that: If the surgeon was going to mess up my ability to brake, he’d better check which leg he was operating on! :thinking::roll_eyes:
I started driving 2 weeks after surgery, in an automatic car as it was my “clutch leg” that didn’t work properly… It still doesn’t work properly, but they can’t/won’t do anything about it, and I find that driving a manual-shift car is actually a benefit for me!

5 Likes

Whenever I had an operation they used to mark a large “X” on the limb that was to be worked on. But what happens if the surgeon thinks the “X” means “Don’t touch this limb!” and works on the other (wrong one)? :grimacing:

4 Likes

The conversation was at the pre-op checkup, before I’d met the surgeon… I made sure I got a large arrow pointing to the side needing the work!

5 Likes

The doc, when finished, should have written, “I was here!” below the arrow. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

On each occasion, he did! Well, they left the scars… I think a 6 inch scar should give me a good clue he did something! (Love that surgical superglue…)

4 Likes

On the good hip / leg / body side, write WRONG SIDE.

On the surgery side, write THIS SIDE.

Never write “right” or they’ll question if it is your right side. Which could be the wrong side. :yo-yo:

5 Likes

And the doctor will probably add “UP”. :grinning:

4 Likes

Would be terrible if you were in for a breast reduction!

Uh… anyone notice we’re off topic?

I have no critter stories. So I’ll just say I’ve been missing my cat friends who died in years past. Too many to name; miss them all.

5 Likes

Uh… Fox ends in “X”. We were talking about an “X”. No, we all stayed on-topic. :thinking: Yeah… Everyone was on-topic. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes I had that also…scraping and then another that removed my meniscus. This is a total knee replacement. I actually agree on the standard car, I love driving them, it seems that it strengthens my leg. And besides that position of your foot on the gas pedal, just aggravates my right knee.

5 Likes

I always kneel on my left knee when I have to remain still because the chipmunk scares easily. (:shushing_face: @cageycat thinks we may be getting off-topic. :shushing_face:) :grinning:

Edit: Hey! When did Cagey rename this topic? I walk away for for a few hours and come back to… 14 posts in the Bird, Animal & Insect topic? Where did the rest of the posts go? :crazy_face:
(Really didn’t notice the switch-a-roo until after I posted my last reply. :rofl: It’s 3:10 AM and I’m off to la-la land. G’night! :sleeping:

4 Likes

Good Luck @TerriB Terri; image

This bunch of jokers are clearly no comfort; don’t they realise you’re going in for open knee surgery :astonished:
Just so long as the surgeon doesn’t put it in back to front, you’ll be right…otherwise you’ll be splitting yourself in two! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

What a joker! (But that was a good one. :laughing:)
Seriously though, my wife had a partial knee replacement. She said (and I heard) the greatest pain was first trying to walk… when she put weight on it. She had a visiting nurse come every day to check her out, get her up for walks - first inside and eventually outside with a walker. One of our neighbors had thought she had a stroke until I told him of the knee replacement. In wasn’t no time at all that she was taking longer and longer walks, but I did have to keep reminding her that when she walked “x” distance, she still had that same distance to walk back… so not to go too far right away. Only once did I have to walk back and get the car to pick her up and bring her home. I guess living on a steep hill didn’t help matters much.

5 Likes

They keep you in the hospital here for 4-5 days and you do physio and start walking there. some leave already on crutches and no walker from that time on.

5 Likes

Yes, they kept her until she could walk down the hall and do several steps in the staircase. As soon as she could demonstrate she could make the steps, then the nurse got the doctor to sign the release order. Boy I missed that hospital food when she left. :yum: :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes probably close to the same. You have two sessions a day at the physiotherapy department in the hospital and then your exercises etc with the nurses. once out you are on physio therapy also, more once your staples come out.

5 Likes

Sort of like when I had my surgery on my lower back when they removed the bone from the back side of 3 lumbar vertebrae. I had to go for walks in the hallway, and finally go in the exercise room and climb up and down 3 steps. Once that was accomplished they let me go home - with about 12 different exercises to do with the elastic straps. I think the muscles in my legs hurt more than my back. Kept on getting muscle spasms. Probably because I had stopped chasing girls for so long. :grinning:

4 Likes