2019 Surgeries Therapies Recoveries

The Bird, Animal, etc is still there. I split the 14 posts having to do with personal health… one post I couldn’t move though.

5 Likes

Best of luck!
That is exactly what they will NOT do for me… at least not yet. I had a slight diversion for the last couple of years due to other more pressing medical issues, but I might get back to hassling them again re the knee. I suspect that it’s as much of a cost issue as anything, sometimes our health service seems to be allergic to doing things that might just improve someone’s longterm quality of life…

My Dad had a partial knee replacement, and the hospital had him up and walking on it the same day. Stayed in for a few days (can’t remember how long), and I’d arranged to work from home for a week or two to help him out around the house while he recovered a little. I didn’t need to!

5 Likes

A couple of days after my wife got home we decided to replace the living room floor and sub-floor. There was one section open as my son and one of his friends were laying new plywood down. I saw that they were about to set a sheet of plywood onto a power cord so I stepped back to move the cord. I stepped right between the floor joists and down through I went! The left side of my rib cage broke my fall and took all of my weight - pulling 4 ribs away from my breast bone. I looked like I had a football (American) stuffed under my skin. I couldn’t catch my breath and lay there in a fetal position squeezing my chest. The ambulance came very quickly and the paramedic was an old buddy of mine. He was in the Selkirk Volunteer Fire Co. (Station 1… they have 3 fire stations in the Town of Bethlehem) and we took all of the fire courses together. (Partied together at the fire conventions also. :woozy_face: :rofl:) To make a long story short (a rarity for me), by the time we got to the hospital I had worked my ribs back into place - although the doctor said I would always have a problem with the for the rest of my life. He was right. The slightest pressure on my breast bone hurts like crazy. (And certain little girls - whose names I won’t mention :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: - love to lean on me when I’m on the floor playing with them. So… while my wife in lying in bed, I was in the power reclining chair. We had that for her mom when she was moved up here from Florida. Nice chair… comfortable, press a button and the chair “stands up”, lean back against it and press another button and the chair goes back down. A foot rest also comes out to pick your feet up. The chair also goes back almost completely flat - like a bed. So we were both laid up for a while. One of the church congregations in town heard about our situation. For two weeks someone different would stop by every day with a hot, homemade, cooked dinner for us. It was really nice as almost each one was a different cuisine. Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Irish, among some nationalities. And of course, American dishes. I think I put on a wee bit of weight. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks @Helen! I hope to be up and going, at least at a snails pace, for the first while and then move to crutches, then one crutch…rather quickly. The next step may take some time.

Wow @Jim7 that was a nasty nasty fall. Cringed just reading that! Communities always come together when someone is in need.

5 Likes

Good luck, @TerriB !

Yesterday, I had good news / bad outcome. Good news, a problem I’ve had is treatable–and reversible (tg!). Also, a changed mole is a specific type of mole, and the change in it means nothing (tg! tg!).

Bad outcome-- every weight-bearing joint was killing me when I got home! Ankles and knees are especially bad. Three things got me… My friend took the long way round and over every pothole downtown–my back can’t take being in a washboard. The pain shoots into my legs via neuropathy. So then I had trouble walking, like lifting my feet over uneven pavement or raised door sills. To give my back a rest, I had to get down on the floor in the waiting room (brought a sheet with me). Getting down is a pain, but getting up onto my feet is horrendous when my back strength is already spent.

Ugh. Will be friends with my bed today. :heart_eyes_cat:

5 Likes

Ouch! I know from personal experience what 1 or 2 broken/cracked ribs is like, I can only guess that was that pain massively multiplied.

So did I!

:pray::crossed_fingers:

That must have been a relief!

Ouch Cagey, take care! :hugs:

4 Likes

Thank you very much. As I have said, not looking forward to it, but at the same time I hope the outcome gives me more mobility.

5 Likes

Thank you @Helen. Hopefully will be back on here soon. Tonight maybe, tomorrow not so much!

5 Likes

Just so long as you log in. Only 3 days to go for the Devotee badge. :wink: Here’s hoping everything go smoothly and you don’t have too much pain. But soon enough you’ll be back traipsing through the fields getting some nice photographs. :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank so much @Jim7. Whatever physio says I’m going to do. I hope to be back up and moving about in the next couple of weeks.

5 Likes

:astonished: Is done yet :flushed:

4 Likes

That sounds like a child asking, “Are we there yet?” :laughing: Sorry… I just watched the “Wonky Donkey” video. :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m on day 2. Surgery yesterday. Not as bad as expected. Have to stay on top of pain meds and not let pain get out of control. Actually slept better than expected. But physio starts today.

5 Likes

Yaaay, glad to hear it went well, that’s the biggest hurdle over with, now for the good steady climb back to full speed ahead :grin:

Don’t know if it works the same for knee replacements but I know my hip loved the exercise…even when I didn’t…always felt so much better after exercise :smile:

5 Likes

Glad to hear the easy part is done :wink: and it went well. Watch out for that first step - when your weight goes onto the joint for the first time. It could be an eye-opener. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as a partial knee replacement. Donna had a partial done and other people told her stories told by those who had partials and those who had full replacements… the partials are more painful. I would know. I only had back surgery and simply tied a broom stick to my back to help me stand up straight. :grinning:

:thinking: It is true that for joint replacements exercise is the key to mobility and healing properly, but that old saying always comes to mind in such cases, “No pain, no gain.”
As for all of you out there that have had joint replacements, I really hope you don’t experience “arthritic-like” aches with weather changes.

@TerriB, I hope your rehab goes smoothly and you’re back out into the fields taking photos - and gardening as soon as possible. But take care at first… It took a long time to grow your joints. It will take a long time for everything to come together again. Stay off the trampoline for the first year. :grinning:

4 Likes

Oh thank goodness… Glad to hear it went well… I’ve been running in circles the last few and must have missed the date… Just DO what you are asked to… most pain comes from stressing the joint too early for sure… one of my neighbours had his knee done a few weeks back before our visit to Saskatoon…
He had to get active early… and they held him in the hospital as long as they could… he lives on the 3rd floor of this building and there is no elevator… and he told them so… but THEY needed him to go home…
He has done well however so far, but yesterday was telling me that his other knee is feeling the pain a bit… comes from favouring the replacement even just a bit too much. Better to go easy and not push either knee… too far. But no sign of real problems…

5 Likes

Good news! Here’s hoping it continues.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! I am up and around… the hospital hallways. I’ve managed the pain well and by Day 2 I actually found the pain was much less. I’m on Day 3 post op now.

“Stay off the trampoline”. This one I don’t think I will have trouble with…:::flushed:…or another friend suggested “bike riding” to get better!!! Ugh.

4 Likes

I suppose a bouncy ball is out of the question, too?

5 Likes

Between my neck and lower back, that would paralyze me. :grimacing:

4 Likes