2019 The Poles - Arctic and Antarctic - News, Adventures, Expeditions

I would have thought, it’s water, and there’s no barrier between the hemispheres so wouldn’t the water just level out over the whole of the planet anyway?

Just picked this out of google about the ice age…
‘Glaciers store about 75 percent of the world’s fresh water. During the maximum point of the last ice age, glaciers covered about 32 percent of the total land area.’
When I think of the Antarctica ice melting, I imagine it’s like an ice cube melting on a plate, it start to melt slow but as it sits in the melted water warming up around it, the ice melts faster and faster the smaller it gets basically.

I can’t see how it could have so much of an effect on the earth’s spin; at least I can’t see how much of a noticeable effect it could have on the earth. When you consider this is water that’s been on the planet and it’s atmosphere since time immemorial, continuously being recycled.

Here’s a comparison about how fast an ice cube melts. Remember that quote I gave by my Gypsy brother-in-law? He said, “Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The older you get, the faster it goes.” If you use a certain number of sheets every day, the closer you get to the end of the roll, the faster the roll seems to get smaller. Remember you still are using the same number of sheets per day. With an ice cube, the ice melts at a given rate. When it’s large, a certain amount of water melts away. As the water melts away the ice cube becomes smaller and appears to melt faster, but it is still only losing water at the same melt rate.
Sound about right?

Actually, the earth has plenty of barriers and forces which keep the oceans at different levels in different locations. Wind can push water from one side of the ocean to another creating a small difference in height. The moon’s gravity does the same, causing bulges in the ocean at the equator, and also causing ocean water to be forced back up rivers at high tides. During low tides, the ocean level has dropped in that area. There are a few more cause and effect properties that affect the differences in sea level height, but I’m not going to get into all of that. Besides, I just a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None. :laughing: And just to make you smile, think of this: With all the water on the earth why doesn’t some of it pour off since the earth is tilted? :wink:

Oh no, is that my Aunt with the mid-section “bulge”? Would girdles help??

mew

What goes in in one place must go out in another - up and down or just up. :laughing:

So a mountain of water?

A tsunami is sometimes called a mountain of water - especially if you’re on the receiving end of it. And when a dam breaks you can call that a mountain of water coming down the valley. So yes… a mountain of water. :upside_down_face:

Could call it a Valley of Water… like The Grand Canyon once was…

I’m rather assuming that the meltwater will be added pro rata to the existing oceans so all the oceans will get some of it but the existing bulges will tend to get more. Because most of the oceans are in the southern hemisphere then that half of the world will get proportionately more of the “new” water.

The maths of the effect on spin is beyond me (nods to the "You know when you are getting senile … " thread!) but if I’m right that mass is moving away from the poles towards the equator then conservation of angular momentum should mean that the earth’s spin will slow down: think of an ice-skater spinning faster as they draw their arms in towards the axis of spin… Over geological time this may happen cyclically to the earth, the spin speeding up during ice ages and slowing in the inter-glacial periods. Whether this effect is significant, or even measurable, is largely what I’m asking about.

Yes, it’s what water skiers have been waiting for! :rofl:

It is measurable… to the extent of 1.2 milliseconds per 100 years. A long time for us (the 100 years) but not for the earth.
Even the rebound of land mass during glacial retreat is painfully slow to us although it is happening and that too is measurable. Even the moon moving away from the earth at about 6"/15 cm per year doesn’t seem like much, but when you add up that figure over the course of time, you can see how the moon’s effect on tides is ever so slowly waning. All these things are what we have to concern ourselves about for future generations. Otherwise, we leave them a world that will be more challenging to live on - to put it politely.
As you must know that the north pole has been slowly shifting in one direction - toward Canada - and since the massive ice loss has now reversed its shift and is heading to you, @EmeraldEyes and @Helen. Okay… the UK was the location they used. All of these things - in combination and no matter how slight - contribute to the earth’s tilt, wobble, speed of rotation and tides. Our world is changing. I have the sinking feeling that no matter what we do now will not have any effect on reversing or halting this change for centuries or hundreds of centuries. But that doesn’t mean we should just do nothing and wait for what is to happen.
Still looking for that article… :wink:

Is that the general slowing down mentioned earlier or further slowing due to water redistribution?

I think you are right that it is us humans responsible for much of the change. My impression is that quite a number of small countries are actively trying to do something about it while the bigger countries are ignoring it or actually denying it. :frowning:

https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/115024/

Thanks for the links @TerriB. After reading the articles, I went to the BAS homepage read up on an article about Greenland’s ice cores. Seems there have been many (about 25) instances when sea ice loss occurred and Greenland’s temperature rose by 16C/61F in less than a decade. That’s fast!

https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/arctic-sea-ice-loss-in-the-past-linked-to-abrupt-climate-events/

@Jim7 my apologies, I missed this fascinating post and the attachments first time around. It looks as though my theory may be partially correct but I hadn’t taken account of the deformation as the weight of ice is removed or of the spin of the core. The 3 effects - and perhaps others - are all competing and no-one quite knows what the sum of the parts will be. Interesting times!

No problem… But I’m still looking for that article/link I just know I kept. It appears it may be on one of my earlier instances of my multi-clipboard… it only holds about 12,000 clips (full articles, links, graphics, etc.). :smiley: I’m currently just filling up my 2nd instance of the portable version (run off a thumb drive). The HHD version is full. I may end up backing up that to a thumb drive and start over with a fresh HHD version. Thank goodness I can color code and name each of the 20 sheets (which hold about 600 clips each). I’ve named them “Environment,” “Health-related,” “Kids Stuff” (for my grandchildren), “Labor & Human Right,” “Space,” “History,” “Graphics,” etc…

Scientists are still discovering more and more seemingly inconsequential factors that affect the earth’s mass and gravitational pull - on regional levels, the spin, wobble, etc. that, even how minuscule they think they may be, do indeed cause an effect on each. Even the still shifting tectonic plate movement - as slow as it may be - has an ever so slight affect on the above as well. Compare it to a fine stew with many ingredients. Change the amount of one… or more… even slightly, and you can change the taste. (How do I always manage to get food into conversations? Not that I don’t like to eat… :smile:)

We talked about the green moss in one of our previous Seal Campaigns…now the green ice:

Hmmmmmm… so fertilizer for algal food for krill consumption… and others…

Makes you wonder if certain seals follow the green icebergs… hmmm… they do eat krill

Drat… it’s to early today to think much… ouch.

There was this guy I used to work with who always said he only thinks on pay day. :smiley:

Well, it seems I’m not far off the mark on that thought line… mineral iron working it’s way into the ocean seems to be very important (among other things) to the whole food chain for krill… the plankton depend on it for nutrient source… and the larger non plant plankton eat the plant type, and then the krill feed on the zoo planktons… and then the krill eaters feed on them… so tally ho the green icebergs it seems… is not a wild thought… I will say that there has been a large condensation of the names… here… I get tongue tied with the scientific things… it was only while watching a Youtube rendition of Under Pressure from Happy Feet II that I realized that the ones dancing UNDER the ice… were likely Krill… small shrimp like crustaceans… The places on learns things eh?

My 6-yr old granddaughter watches YouTube videos on spiders of all things. She’s fascinated with them! My DIL screams when she sees one and her little daughter has to get it out of the house for her. :laughing: She usually follows it up with, “That wasn’t a poisonous spider, Mom.” :grinning:

It seems the Antarctic is actually quite colorful and not just a vast white expanse with all the pinks, reds, browns, and greens, and blues.