2019 Your thoughts as our days count down

I will miss: the excitement of a new campaign, the images we have seen through those campaigns, the many many things we have learned about the campaign area, the support from fellow nodders. The daily interaction of nodders is what I will miss the most. We have shared our lives, our thoughts, our feelings. We have been ambassadors for our countries and the areas we live. Thank you.

8 Likes

A lot of mixed feelings here, but the biggest one is the feeling of emptiness. Still… onward to the new. :wink:

6 Likes

:pray::crossed_fingers::pray::crossed_fingers::heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Change…always hard…especially when we don’t have a good understanding of “what is available” for replacement. I haven’t had much chance to look around, but will take any recommendations from nodders (zooniverse is the only one I have heard so far).

6 Likes

Later on this year when they have things all set up, I’ll be doing some work on the GlobalExplorer India campaign. They use a platform that was originally the Tomnod platform. I don’t know if they’ve made “upgrades” to it or if they’ve moved onto a different platform. Time will tell.

6 Likes

I looked at this project called Eyewire today. Researchers have made a “game” for people to help AI map the neurons in the brain. It looks fun. Definitely take the tutorial first. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work on the IPad, just on a desktop/laptop. I like to get away from the computer screen after I’m done with work. It’s hard to cozy up with a desktop :desktop_computer:.

Here is the link to the site:

https://eyewire.org

5 Likes

I try not to think about the ending of Tomnod because it is just so sad :disappointed:. I need to download my posts this weekend.

I have this hope that it will be reborn as MaxarNod one day…

5 Likes

I try not to think about the ending of Tomnod because it is just so sad :disappointed:
[/quote]

Me too :disappointed: image

But I have downloaded my archives…they’re down there somewhere :laughing:

5 Likes

What a great idea!!!

5 Likes

Is there one campaign that you really immersed yourself in, or did you like the new adventure of each campaign? There was a different excitement of each campaign. Some we learned about the area/country of the campaign, others we learned about the refugee process, and others we learned of the heartbreaking loss in a search, or the overwhelming devastation of wildfires, …so many campaigns.

5 Likes

The two that I think I spent the most time on was the Indonesia Burning and H. Maria campaigns. The first was a man-made disaster and the second was a natural disaster. Just goes to show how much damage we can do to this planet… and ourselves.

5 Likes

Our last week…7 days…until June 30th.

:cry::sob::slightly_frowning_face::sob::cry:

5 Likes

I remember the Hurricane Maria, Harvey campaigns and the U.N. refugee camp mapping. The refugee camps campaign, in particular, I was emotionally attached. I wanted to tag every tent in all 46+ camps. I remember going to the U.N. site for satellite photos of their camps and correlating them to what we were mapping. So I knew which camp we were helping on most of the images. This was the campaign that I most wanted to completely finish (I remember it was dropped without an announcement, when it was only ~ 70% complete). the abrupt end to the refugee camp campaign was hard to deal with emotionally as I had set these goals to finish and the rug was pulled out from under me…

I also remember the Nepal Earthquake, the South Sudan food security, Ghana fishing nets, Hong Kong harbour boats, Mosque mapping, and, of course, Tomnod Draw.

:sob:

5 Likes

Spent a lot of time on the search for the missing catamaran in the Indian ocean and the Indonesia: Illegal Burning Campaign (think there were a few of these). Fascinating when they introduced the infrared images, for these and the wild fire campaigns. Fascinating too tracking a tornado’s path.
But I guess the most time was spent on the seal campaigns…as there wasn’t much else by then anyway. But I did enjoy all the research campaigns, they taught me so much over the years.

And the most exasperating thing about TN retiring is that it’s happening just when I’ve been upgraded…new pc and monitor :confounded: I don’t even need to use my reading glasses on the forum :grin:

And to answer this question…after all these years…it’s the Hyderabad, Sindh (museum), Pakistan
'Cos I’ve just been browsing around reminiscing :laughing:

5 Likes

I did too. I learned so much on each campaign, whether through the campaign, or fellow nodders.
The Australian wildfire campaign I think is near where I started. @Kateg mentioned the South Sedan food security campaign, which I liked.

I think Devotee badges should have been given out for those who “stuck with it” on campaigns that were long and arduous…two I can think of…@kateg for the Refugee campaign and @Jim7 for the H. Maria campaign. Seals … we all should have received one!!!

:smile::sob:

5 Likes

It hurts that we don’t know exactly when they are pulling the plug. Every time I log on from now on (if they cut us off early) this forum could be gone :sob:

5 Likes

I know Mel said the end of the month, but the last business day is Friday. It would be nice to know if it will be on Friday or on Sunday this goes “poof!”

5 Likes

See you on the other side :grin:

According to Urbandictionary.com:

“This phrase may originate with the Apollo 8 mission, the first time in history humans had passed behind the other side of the moon from earth.

CapCom Gerry Carr spoke to the three astronauts more than 200,000 miles away, “Ten seconds to go. You are GO all the way.” Command Module Pilot James Lovell replied, “We’ll see you on the other side”, and Apollo 8 disappeared behind the Moon, the first time in history men had been occulted. For 34 minutes there would be no way of knowing what happened.

Source: history.nasa.gov”

5 Likes

I agree. I want to tag more Maria on Friday and Saturday before it all shuts down.

It is very distressing not to know.

5 Likes

I’ve been tagging all along, each time I walk past the laptop I do a tile or two, then do 10 or 20 on the seals. I go about my business and as I pass the laptop, repeat the above. At night is when I can actually get more done in both campaigns, but then at night is when I also have more to do with my domains and such. :roll_eyes: I’m guessing that after Sunday, I’ll be sleeping 6 hours a night instead of 4. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes