Crosby, Texas -- explosion at chemical plant

As reference: “On April 17, 2013, an ammonium nitrate explosion occurred at the West Fertilizer Company storage and distribution facility in West, Texas, eighteen miles (29 km) north of Waco.”

New Threat !

‘No way to prevent’ potential chemical plant explosion near Houston, Arkema CEO says

“Arkema’s CEO said Wednesday that there is “no way to prevent” a possible explosion at the company’s Crosby, Texas, facility, which has been heavily flooded as a result of Hurricane Harvey.”

• under 6’ of water
  • no power
  • must keep chemicals cooled
  • no one can predict how big the explosion could be
  • Texans cannot be forced from their homes, despite 1.5 mile evacuation

** They cannot monitor the scene. Maybe one of the WV sats can become a constant monitor? (Yeah, expensive-- but it sure would be an interesting “record” of the developing crisis on scene?)

Another plant is “a few miles away”.

Double the pleasure; Double the Boom!!

Big Boom without warning.

Hey, what happens in Texas flooding to bunnies, gophers, groundhogs, etc.? I was gonna suggest that you go warn them, Bob, about the coming 'plosion… then, I realized their sub-terranean living rooms were already water logged.

CNN said earlier this afternoon that power had been partiallly restored and cooling things down was underway… but that no one was sure if it would work in time… or at all.

Every news item over the last 8 hours reports an explosion could happen.

The company said they pulled out all employees. 6’ of water in and outside the plant. Once the chemicals reach a certain temp, the water itself compounds the problem.

Once it explodes, all the rainwater will be contaminated. As water drains, the contaminants will flow back into streams and to the Gulf / ocean.

Just after I walked down to my house to take care of Angel, I was listening to our local National Public Radio station. They were still reporting the possibility of an explosion and that no one really wanted to go inside the plant because of it - and that was around 11:00 PM ET (0300 UTC).
The big problem with flooding - no matter what type of plant, factory or terminal - is all contaminants end up downstream, down river and eventually into the sea/ocean. Even wells are contaminated. Heck, I get upset when I see my son use a herbicide on his property. I keep on telling him that eventually, it will make its way down to the stream, which empties into the creek, which empties into the river, which empties into the ocean. When he tries to use the old excuse that by that time it is so diluted it doesn’t amount to much, I remind him that even the slightest amount adds up when you multiple that tiny amount by the number of people who use herbicides (and pesticides). He ends up having to agree with.

The Federal Chemical Safety Board, that will be helping with some of the cleanup, wasn’t even notified of this pending problem (possibility of explosion). They found out via news broadcasts! Clearly a lack of communications - or a refusal to communicate with the very agency it must report to! But that’s okay in some people’s eyes. :roll_eyes:

This plant uses ‘Organic Peroxides’ to make plastic products. Lord only knows what these products are, but nevertheless, word has it that an explosion at this plant would make the West, Texas event look like a small firecracker. :bomb::bomb::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/major-chemical-plant-near-houston-likely-to-explode-owner-warns/ar-AAr0kCp?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

In Selkirk, NY (next town north of me) there is a plastics plant. It used to be GE Plastics (General Electric), but they sold their plastics division to SABIC (Saudi Arabia). They make resins, liquids and powders for industrial and agricultural applications. Heck, SABIC has even moved into the home security business now! (They must want their hand in a good variety of businesses.) The plant is close to the Selkirk railroad yards (CSX). Also in Selkirk - and practically right on the border with my town - is the Texas Eastern Pipeline Terminal (LPG). Good Lord if they ever had an explosion there. The New York State Thruway runs right past it also! Not that it would do much good, but the Selkirk Fire Dept. (station 1) sits just a stone throw (literally) away from the gas company’s entrance. An explosion could wipe out the fire station. :expressionless:

I wonder how many people living near it, or even fairly close to it, know how dangerous that plant can be. It’s unbelievable how many people there are all over the country that are oblivious as to what the factories and plants that are close to them make and chemicals used - until it’s too late.

I hear you, Jim. Makes one wonder, how stupidity can be so contagious. -ake

News said it is primarily 2 chemicals:

• ammonia
  • peroxide

Both need kept at cool temp – under refrigeration – or they can explode.

Interestingly, the chemicals are used to make plastics— and in animal feed! Jeez Zeus! Indigestion just thinking about the poor animals.

News on MSNbC at 5am said they think there is a “dark plume” above the plant. Some police close to the site overnight reported headaches, nausea, etc.

The public was unaware of what the plant did. When it first moved in, the area was rural. People and the town built up around it. TX has little regulations and their Legislature made disclosure harder to get than sleep beside a screaming baby.

The company reportedly told TX and Fed agencies last week, before the Co removed all remaining employees, except for guards outside the plant.

Again, it’d be kewl if a satellite can “sit on it” until whatever happens, happens… just to capture the build up to the explosion. IF it catches fire first, that will raise the temps above 800F which will undoubtedly lead to an explosion.

Even if Nodders cannot view the captured images, it would sure be a remarkable historical set for DG’s archives.

Current news (MSNBC) reports states that there has been several explosions from the plant. Several people taken to hospital from exposure to fumes. More details to come…

Multiple explosions, dark smoke coming from plant, 10 cops taken to hospital for fumes inhalation.

““The flood waters could carry the hydrocarbons and alcohols off-site. While it is possible that you may see an oil sheen or smell a slight odor, we anticipate the break down products would dissipate in the water or evaporate. In the alternate, there could be a combination event involving fire and environmental release.”

“Any fire will probably resemble a large gasoline fire. The fire will be explosive and intense. Smoke will be released into the atmosphere and dissipate. People should remain clear of the area.”

Quotes from:

The company:

That made me laugh out loud! My wife looked across the table at me and thought I was losing it - okay, lost it again! :smiley: I was still chuckling a full minute later.

Do satellites have brakes? We have mechanical brakes and air brakes, but space brakes? :thinking:

And hopefully NOT downwind from it.