Hurricane Ophelia headed towards Ireland

Well faith and be glory, what’s next? One of my brothers and his wife just returned from Ireland a couple of weeks ago. Whew!

What the heck is going on?

I noticed on the National Hurricane Center website that when the hurricanes running back-to-back in the Atlantic, there were none in the eastern Pacific. I hope they don’t start there when the Atlantic ones start letting up. The last thing the west coast needs after these fires is a hurricane.

The sky is looking decidedly jaundiced today and a warm and muggy 66F…

“Pink (or slightly orange) in the morning, sailors take warning.” is how the old saying goes. The rest of it is, "Pink at night, sailors’ delight."
I came across a link to a website that tracked the starting points of all the hurricanes in the Atlantic from 1861 to 2016. Hurricane Ophelia is an oddity in that it began farther north than others, and in waters that are normally too cold for a storm to develop into a hurricane as Ophelia did. They include a nice graphic depicting all the hurricanes’ beginnings.

Jim,
I used to live and work aboard a merchant cargo vessel for 10 years and the saying we used to say was: Red sky in morning; Sailors take warning. Red sky at night; Sailors delight.
ake

One of the first “adult ditties” I learned at age 4 or 5.
Red sky at morning, Sailors take warning.
Red sky at night, Sailors’ delight.

I learned some other adult ditties, which I can’t repeat here! :cat::x:

However, I will pretend to be Shakespearean as I now emote this truism:
"Salmon swimming swimmingly along in the morning
Become cat and bear tasty salmon dinners by afternoon!

Easy there, Cagey! Meow… :smile_cat: I learned a few myself, but they’re not for here either. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For us it was…

Red sky at night, shepherds delight.
Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning.

But Jim, this wasn’t the usual red sky in the morning; it was an orangy/yellowish news worthy sky most of the day :wink:

That was probably caused by the storm. Once we had a sky that looked like it was a light tan (taupe?). It lasted for over an hour before a tornado touched down on the top of a hill about 1-1/2 miles/2,4 km away. Then the sky turned a blackish-purple for a short time. Weird sky that was.

Here’s an Atlas Obscura article that has a 20-second video of a waterfall being blown up into the air. At the very end the water returns to flowing down again. Cool!
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/waterfall-flows-up-mallerstang-cumbria-ophelia-meteorology-hurricane