Nodder Introductions

The search for my friends on the LA Nina Sailing Vessel that left NZ and vanished in the Tasmin Sea

Hello All…
I’m Chris. I live in the Dallas area and work for one of the big telephone companies as a 9-1-1 network engineer. I’ve worked in the 9-1-1 arena for over 30 years and have a Masters degree in Urban Planning with an emphasis in the application of geographic information systems (GIS). I discovered Tomnod when doing a Google search for different mapping resources. I love looking at maps and aerials and volunteering on Tomnod projects is right up my ally. My first campaign is looking for seals. I’ve yet to find one in the 300 tiles so far. My favorite food has to be anything Chinese.
Look forward to participating!
Chris

Welcome @ChrisP! :smiley:

Take a look at some of the links in this thread here

if you want to tag some seals! There were a few times I had to use these links, as I saw nothing but ice and show in over 1k tiles! :upside_down_face:

Hi and welcome aboard Chris :slight_smile:
If you need a little insight into how to get around the forum, just try out the little discobot tutorial from the link below; the two exercises only take a few minutes :wink:

Welcome @ChrisP! We are glad you are here!

Hi Everyone
I actually posted a photo for help on the forum before introducing myself. Thanks to those who helped confirm the roads I had found and you found the plane, station, that was nearby! I’m Terri. I live in Saskatchewan. Yes it is very cold…our current temp is -16 C which is much warmer than a week ago when our area was under an Extreme Cold Warning for -42 to -48 C (about-43 to -54 F). I am used to lots of snow and ice! This is my fourth campaign. I am a photographer and love seeking out wildlife shots of deer, owls, moose, elk, birds, geese, etc. There is lots to see in our province and country. I look forward to continuing this campaign and participating in more in the future. I love lots of different foods, but ginger beef is a fav.

How_deee. We’ve been having some issues with the Forum feed as per Cagey Cat’s posts elsewhere in the site. I know your province quite well as I used to drive long haul truck through there all the time. Welcome, and enjoy. If you are having problems logging in on Chrome, try Microsoft Edge. That’s what I’m on now… Tah, Tah for now.

Hello Terri, and welcome to the forum.

Hi there and welcome to the board :wink:

7 posts were split to a new topic: Current URL issues - Should you make another account?

1. I just discovered Tomnod last week from Lifehacker. My first campaign was Seals.
  2. Finding baseball fields.
  3. My special skill is making perfect sugar cookies.
  4. Ice cream.

Hi Meg! Welcome to the Tomnod forum. As you check out the different categories - especially the “Water Cooler,” you find a nice friendly group of people who can be a little nutty at times (myself included). :grinning:

Welcome Meg! :smiley:

Hi Meg! Welcome to the Forum. When you have time, explore the different categories by clicking on the three lines up by your name. And don’t worry, we’re harmless.

Hi Meg, welcome to the forum wave3

So glad we’ve got another seal spotter . . . maybe we might just get to complete this stage by Wednesday after all . . . by the way…how are you at counting grains of rice…'cos maybe we’ll actually get started on counting those slippery little seals before they slip away on their holidays :crossed_fingers: that’s the stage of the campaign…tagging seals :grin:

And don’t worry…I’m not one of the nutty ones crazy6

:wink: I’m a good girl, I am angel_saintly

Wait, next we’ll have to count them?!? I’m having enough stress determining if it’s a rock or a seal!

And don’t even get me started on when I find a baseball field in Hurricane Maria!! :slight_smile:

hahah so true @Meg!

Welcome to the forum and THANK YOU for being a Tomnod volunteer!

Yep! One…by one…by one :rofl:
But if helps, on the plus side, there’s loads more examples of seals, than we had when we started out, posted in the some of the campaign posts on here which might help you decide :smiley:

And you can always post a link on here to any you really aren’t sure about, to others opinions :wink:

4 posts were split to a new topic: Where can Mods put a How-To post

1. How and when did you discover Tomnod? What was your first campaign?
    I was searching for something related to my geospatial studies and came across this fabulous site. I believe the human trafficking campaign was running when I joined, but my first active campaign was looking for Weddell seals.

2. What is your favorite campaign to-date?
    I like the humanitarian campaigns.

3. Do you have any special insight, skills or experience that could help other Nodders? I’m a geospatial analyst and I’m quite fond of spectral signatures. I’m good at extracting data from imagery and approaching geospatial problems.

4. What is your favorite food?
    Too many to name just one. I think being from the South, some of my faves are macaroni and cheese, collard greens, peach pie and chess pie. I like carbs.