Northern California wildfires spreading rapidly

Fire jumps from 200 acres to 25,000 acres.

“Janet Upton, a deputy director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said that at least 15 separate fires across the region had destroyed more than 1,500 homes and businesses and burned about 94,000 acres since late Sunday night. At least 10 people had been killed as of Monday evening, she said: seven in Sonoma County, two in Napa County and one in Mendocino County.”

“Gov. Jerry Brown issued emergency proclamations for Butte, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Sonoma and Yuba Counties, saying the fires had damaged critical infrastructure and threatened thousands of homes. He also asked President Trump to declare a major disaster.”

Between the 3 fires - tubbs fire (santa rosa, ca), nuns fire (glen ellen, ca), and the atlas fire (napa county) we are looking at 58,000 acres so far in less than 48 hours. So many areas were evacuated and so many people affected that getting information is coming slowly. http://www.calfire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

It almost looks like Dominica - before and after H. Maria. :frowning_face:

HI all, we are keeping our eye on incoming imagery to see if tomnod can help. We only have one partial image so far, and from it you can see the problem we will have. The same way we have to wait for clouds to clear after a hurricane, smoke is an impediment to satellite imagery in areas impacted by wildfires. We will see what we can do.

47 PM

I heard on the news about some really sad situations–

a woman confined to a WC and her dad trying to get her out; he suffered some burns and she didn’t survive

a elderly couple who died while asleep

Hundreds missing. I can’t even imagine the horror.

For some good news, a couple survived by jumping into a neighbor’s swimming pool and remained there for 6 hours until they it was safe enough to get away.

FYI, the NY Times has done an interesting piece using DG imagery, and did tomnod’s work for us:

Link: Northern California Fires Have Destroyed at Least 5,700 Buildings

I hesitated to write this before but will say it now… I felt we would have been tagging hallowed grounds (in my opinion) with at least 400 people still missing and feared dead. It sort of felt like we’d be going into Titanic steerage where so many died. For that reason, I planned to sit out any CA fire campaign; otherwise, I would have cried throughout.

It wasn’t like this in Canada, where nearly everyone had time to evacuate. I could tag there, for the owners’ futures.

The NY Times piece is well done, for what they did.

Hi @cageycat, I understand how you’re feeling and feel the same way. We are probably not going to do a campaign for this reason among others. I have seen some of the imagery and it is horrifying.