Reminiscing and replies


I’m number 7 out of 11. Does that count as being a “middle Child?” :smile:

Nodder Introductions

You reminded me of the screen savers I used to have running 24/7. I had SETI@Home, Einstein, and several others. Once in a while I would actually “use” the computer - but not for long as to not bother all the data crunching that it was doing! :laughing:


Hi Jimmy,
Sometimes people really just don’t know the extent to which their actions affect others, whether in the immediate area or far away. Sadly. some simply just don’t care. :pensive:
Nice “meeting” you! :smiley:


Had to stop and think where I posted that – Oh yeah… that was in my “letter” to WV3, which is Nodders’ (cough, I mean DigitalGlobe’s) great satellite floating UP there somewhere. :rocket:


This “middle child” just wished his mother a happy 98th birthday tonight (12/15). :smile:


Enjoying the ongoing thoughts and conversations, but pulled it into a side topic because it beyond issuing welcomes and user introductions :wink:


Dec. 20th: I can’t believe our “baby” boy turns 39 today! :smile:

I finally got to put my youngest granddaughter to bed last night - first time since the end of October. She didn’t even want me to read her any story books. All she wanted was for me to hold her while I rocked her in the rocking chair. She’s getting her molars in so she asked for a “plug” (pacifier), probably to bite down on. In less than 5 minutes, the “plug” fell from her mouth and rolled down my chest. She was out cold! I rocked her for another 10 minutes before putting her in her bed. She didn’t move at all. I guess missing her nap had something to do with this. :laughing: But boy, did I feel good about rocking her to sleep. Guess ole grandpa still got it! :wink:


Way back when I was 12 years old, my family had gone to a lake for a day of swimming, picnicing, etc. After swimming for quite a while I decided to lie down on the beach to rest. I fell asleep. When I awoke my entire back side was as red as a lobster. I was sunburned so badly I missed a week of school. The following Saturday, my oldest brother took me out to a large field and we (mostly he) flew a box kite. He had 1,000 feet of string on the spool and we used all of it. The kite looked like a dark speck of dirt against the clouds - when we could make it out. Finally the string broke off the spool. My brother said to me, “I hope the string doesn’t get tangled around an airplane’s propellers and causes it to crash.” For several hours I was worried sick that I (we) would be the cause of an airplane to crash! :fearful: I guess I was to nieve to realize my brother was just teasing me, although he never said anything about it to me. :angry:

Last summer I spent an entire day pooper-scooping the back hill on my son’s property - that’s “the dogs’ potty park!” :smirk: That was to prepare it so I could fly kites with my two granddaughters. They were 1- and 2-years old then. Of course, the kites were Disney Princess kites and each one had to fly their own - and different - princess. :confounded: Was I glad when mommy came out to bring the younger “aviator” in for her nap! :relieved: Now I just had a 2-year old that wanted to run with her kite and was constantly falling to the ground. I spent more time helping her to get up - and even more time getting the kite back up into the air (darned breeze kept on stopping by this point). This summer we’re going to my daughter’s house where the ground it flatter and there’s enough room for a Little League ball game (with bleechers). I just hope I don’t have to pooper scoop her backyard first! :weary:

Oh, we wished our daughter a happy birthday last night. It’s been 44 years already? :astonished:


We wished our daughter happy birthday yesterday…we are now the proud parents of yet another teenager :worried::sweat_smile:


A “senior moment”? This morning I was talking with the contractor making repairs on a stone tile floor. After a while we got on the subject of power outages. With my mind being as sharp as it ever was, I proceeded to tell him of an incident that occurred about 28 years ago. A friend of mine was at his girlfriend’s house when the power went off. He asked her how she was going to see to get her child dressed for school. She replied, “No problem! I’ll just use the light on my vacuum!” :confused: Did I mention she was a blonde? :wink: That’s when the contractor proceeded to tell me how the night before, as he was getting out of his truck, he had to retrieve some papers. He turned on his flashlight, retrieved the papers, then said to himself, “Now where’s my cellphone?” He said he looked all through his truck, cab and cargo bay for about 10 minutes with no joy. Then he looked down at his hand and right where he had his “flashlight” was his cellphone. He had used the flashlight app on his phone to retrieve his papers and actually forgot what he had in his hand! :confounded: As I tried to calm his fears about his “senior moment,” I told him it was probably just a lack of concentration brought on by his being in a hurry (rolling my eyes skyward and trying not to laugh out loud in his face :sweat_smile::smirk:) And this guy is about 10 to 12 years younger than me! :laughing:
Did I mention that this contractor is also married to one of the sisters to the blonde mentioned in the first part of this post? :smirk:


Thank goodness there’s a name for this disorder. Somehow, I feel better even though I have it!
Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. It’s called, “Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder”.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I go inside and I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think, since I’m going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table, and see that there is only one cheque left.

My extra cheques are in my desk in the study, so when I go into the study to get them, I find the can of Pepsi I’d been drinking earlier.

Pushing the Pepsi aside so that I don’t accidentally knock it over, I notice it’s getting warm so decide to put the Pepsi in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye – they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I’ve been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I’m going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realise that tonight when we go to watch TV, I’ll be looking for the remote, but I won’t remember that it’s on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the living room where it belongs, but first I’ll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
my garden isn’t watered
the car isn’t washed
the bills aren’t paid
there is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter
the flowers don’t have enough water
there is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book
I can’t find the remote
I can’t find my glasses
and I don’t remember what I did with the car keys

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I’m really baffled because I know I was busy all day, and I’m really tired.

I realise this is a serious problem, and I’ll try to get some help for it, but first I’ll check my e-mail…

Do me a favour…Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don’t remember who I’ve sent it to. Don’t laugh…if this isn’t you yet, your day is coming!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:


Now I know what it is I’ve got! I’ll start off by attempting to do one teeny project, and as I start something will remind me of something else I was going to do - I leave to do that first (so it’s done and over with). On the way to do the second chore first, I see something I somehow managed to leave unfinished. I decide to finish that and start on it. As I’m working on that I need to retrieve a tool from my workbench. When I go into my workshop I realize I left a few tools out, so I start to put them away. By the time I’ve finished that (really finished), I forgot what tool I had come here to get! So I walk back up to the house and walk around looking for something to remind me as to what it was I forgot. Nothing provides any clue! :confused:

Soon my wife is asking if I’ve finished the chore (the first thing I was doing) she wanted me to do. I just tell her, “Almost!” :wink: So I head to where I first started out. Along the way I see something that needs “a little adjustment” and stop to take care of that. Then I notice there’s a small chip missing and find it on the floor behind it. I head back down to my shop to get some glue and a clamp. I spend a half an hour looking for my clamps before I realize I had let my son borrow them. I hop into my car and drive to my son’s house, only to find that he has in turn loaned them to one of his friends! I decide I’ll just run to the hardware store to buy another clamp - one can always use another clamp! As I walk around the hardware store I pick up a “few” other things I’ve been meaning to buy - as well as a few things I probably didn’t need at the moment. By the time I’m halfway home - and $120US less to my name - I realize I never did pick up the clamp! :scream: As I turn around to head back to purchase the clamp, I vow to myself that is the only thing I am going to buy. As I walk back into the store and say hello to everyone again, I notice a large display of bird seed. How did I miss that the first time I was here? I pick up a couple of bags of birdseed, a bad of shelled peanuts and some suet cakes. Then I finally get to the aisle where the clamps are - and they’re out of the size I need! After cashing out and heading back home, I realize that I’ve just spent another $30US. The wife is gonna kill me! But at least the birds will eat well and, afterall, I did get a few things I thought I needed. :smirk: By the time I get all the merchandise put away, my wife calls me in for dinner. After dinner a friends from the other end of town stops by and we have coffee and talk for an hour or so. By the time he leaves it’s dark and I turn on my computer. As I’m doing some nodding, I realize that I never did get anything done at all today! Oh well, tomorrow should be more productive I try telling myself. I suppose I was lucky I didn’t get up until noon today! :laughing::wink:

And that is what a good day is for me. On a bad day I would have been left without a car, spilled the last cup of coffee on the porch (so I had to wash it off), have the portable telephone battery pack die out on me as I am over by the carraige house, and suddenly have to use the bathroom only to find that I’ve locked myself out of the house! :scream: Oh yeah, I’ve had those days, and quite a few of them it seems. :expressionless:



The other day I was heading up stairs to fetch something or other and picked up a pair of socks left on the stairs to go up into the laundry basket. My husband asks me to bring down the hand mirror from the bathroom while I was up there. It’s getting chilly again so I close all the windows as I head for the bathroom, swap over the towels for clean ones, put the socks in the waste bin, come downstairs with the mirror having forgotten all about what I went up there for in the first place :confounded: But I now had to go back up to retrieve the socks from the bin and never recall what I was going up for in the first place. So I recon it must have been to close the windows :grin:

I remember my mum used to sometimes wonder what she did all day because by the end of the day she always said it looked as though nothing had been done. But then she did have 10 of us altogether to think for…herself included :frowning:


LOL! I know where you’re coming from! Growing up, there was always at least 5 of us keeping mom busy all day. Inbetween of taking care of us, she did the usual 5 loads of laundry each day (5 kids + mom & dad, plus the sheets and pillow cases from one bedroom each day.) Of course, she really didn’t like to use the clothes dryer much because that would run up the electric bill - better to save the money for spending on us “little ones”! :innocent: We lived in a 2-family house so we (mom) had the use of 6 clothes lines, 3 off the downstairs back porch and 3 upstairs. When we got home from a hard day of playing outside, mom would usually have to put clean clothes on the youngest 3 (and sometimes all of us :innocent::wink:) before she would let us sit down for dinner. Of course, she made the beds - sometimes having to redoing the older children’s because they weren’t just quite right. (again, :innocent::wink:) She’d also vacuum the floors, downstairs as well as up, and dust the same. Somewhere between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner, she’d get about 10-15 pounds of potatoes peeled and washed, peeled carrots, and just had everything ready for when it was time to cook dinner. Since we always had a dog, a cat, an aquarium, snakes (mine :smirk:), a box turtle, a guinea pig (mine :wink:), and an iguana (mine also :smirk:), she had a lot of pet care to perform. Of course, when the older children got home from school, it was playtime and the toys all were brought out (by us :innocent:). Before my father got home from work, my mother would change out of her house dress into something “more presentable” as she would say, would put a little makeup on and a little lipstick. By the time my father got home and walked in the door, with my mother greeting him at the door, he would look around and see toys all over the place (usually in more than one room) and would ask, “What did you do all day?” To be honest, I think it was just a little joke the two of them had between them. On my father’s days off, he saw the messes we made, one right after the other, and my mother just constantly going from room to room straightening up this and that, picking up this and that, etc.! I really think my mother loved the “break” she got when my father would take me and the older of my younger brothers fishing. My two younger sisters usually went to a neighbor’s house to play with their girls. That just left my mom with my baby brother. It must have been heaven to be “rid” of 4/5ths of us for a few hours. :grinning: Regardless, she always gave each of us a big hug and kiss when we got home. :grin:

When one or more of my older sisters or brothers stopped by, they always gave a hand at whatever needed to be done. That would give mom a much needed break from us little vixons! :smiling_imp: But then again, sometimes they would bring their babies and grandma would fuss over them like mad! :confused: Some break!