Vehicles_Abandoned, Not Roadworthy, Repaired

Seeing how I sort of got off topic in the 2019 - Plastic Waste and Recycling topic, I have moved the off-topic posts here. (Shame on me! :neutral_face:)

4 Likes

Or submerged somewhere. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: The number of vehicles “found” decades later when the water level of a canal, lake or pond drops dramatically is unreal! Of course there are lots of vehicles parked behind old barns just rusting away. Many times it was the intention of the farmer to eventually scrap the metal for a little money, but in many cases, the farmer passes away and the junk vehicles still sit there.

Does that include vehicles that were possibly transported/driven to other provinces (as when people relocate)? I realize that cannot account for one million vehicles, because after a few years, there would be no one left in BC. :laughing:

3 Likes
2019 - Plastic Waste and Recycling

I can never tell if you’re joking @Jim7 - one million cans. I assume pop / soda cans?

3 Likes

Cans? :thinking: Try vehicles… cars… trucks… :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

@Jim7 Which? :wink: (post must be 20 characters)

3 Likes

Oops! Sorry @cageycat & @TerriB, I had two certain little girls tugging on me to watch them put on a dance show while playing a music video. I guess I read much too swiftly and saw “cars” instead of “cans”. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I guess that makes much more sense - 1 million cans instead of 1 million cars. My big mistake for the day! :roll_eyes:
Now that I am done making mistakes for the next 1 hour and 10 minutes (that starts a new day for me), could someone please comment on the screenshots I posted in the Crabeater Seal POI category? The software won’t let me post any more - other than constantly editing my last post - and I have finally found out what’s causing the sea ice to crack and break up! :laughing:
Edit: Here’s the link to my last post in the Crabeater Seal POI topic.
https://forum.tomnod.com/t/2019-crabeater-seal-poi-odd-images/6026/85?u=jim7

2 Likes

You did…and I thought that is what heppened, but didn’t get back to say something!

3 Likes

I just thought it was funny-- wondered if people put their cans in their cars before they moved… New sugar high… vaaaaaroom! LOL

3 Likes

As long as they can get the vehicles out to a flat surface, there are car crushers that can be towed in to crush them for hauling out. It there are enough of them with fairly easy access, it would actually be profitable - which seems to make all the difference in the world as to whether people would “bother” to clean up the environment. As you pointed out, there’s probably a lot of petroleum products ever so slowly seeping into the ground, ground water and surface water. If they wait until it does reach the lake, there’s a long trail of it that has to be cleaned up. Better to “nip it in the bud” than to wait.

2 Likes

Trust me… there is no access for big tows… the vertical slope is like up to 80 degrees down… hard to walk on… several vehicles did make it to the creek… but most are hung up on tree stumps etc… and rusting fast… one could use a telpher line system to raise parts up and move them down the canyon in steps… once safe… the creek is also about 200 feet down… it will be a tough job… I like to think someone did go and recover most of the oil… that would have been easier to do… some look like they were from the 40’s… maybe people valued cars before that… or simply could not access the area at all before that… perhaps there are horse carcasses down there as well… I just looked to see if there was anything newer that might be very recent… especially the one that was mine… but I was able to drive home that day. and you are correct… get it early… and that applies to many things… like fire… got to go back to work now… Lynne wants to go eat… at 4… now 2:15

4 Likes

Can you donate the vehicles in your area… (the cans I know you “can”)…SPCA…

https://www.kidney.ca/kidneycar

The tow charges come off the donation, and you get a tax receipt.

3 Likes

Here in New York, almost every non-profit, charitable organization advertises for vehicle donations. Of course when they have their annual fund drive, those advertisements are quite frequent. Over the years, my wife and I have given our old vehicles to our daughter or son to in turn give to charity - as a tax deductible donation. Now what to do with our Ford Taurus… Still have to pump a full tank of 91 octane gasoline from it, swap out the new battery we installed in September, and switch the two new Mud & Snow tires on the front with the old tires before we get rid of it. It’s a shame we don’t know someone with the same model car as we had a new starter motor (not the Bendix), alternator and ignition coil assembly installed between last September and October (just before taking it off the road). It even has new wiper blades on it. :laughing:

3 Likes

Here are a few, you select the province you are in, and it populates all of the charities.

We also have an organization that will take your used car, mechanics donate their time to make sure in top running order, and then it is given to a family in need.

In my province we don’t have to do a vehicle inspection if you sell your vehicle privately, however, if it goes to an auto body or you trade it in, it gets an inspection that needs to be fulfilled before you can sell or put a license plate on it.

They have been ramping up their vehicle inspections on city streets and the highways. They have taken quite a few non road worthy vehicles off the road.

3 Likes

Wow! In NY, whether you sell it privately or not, the new owner has to get it inspected before putting it on the road - as proof it is indeed road worthy and safe. Even tires that don’t pass will fail the vehicle’s inspection. We have 10 days (a temporary inspection pass) to get a newly (privately) registered vehicle inspected. Get stopped without an inspection sticker on your windshield and it’s a US$75 fines + court fees for a final cost of about US$125-$220). It all depends upon what county you get stopped in. The counties closer to NYC cost more (pay their judges/court clerks more?). Many of the police cars have a camera that can read license plates, the registration and inspection stickers on the fly, transmit the data to the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) and receive the owner’s data back within a couple of seconds - as long as the system is backed up. I remember when our town first got one of these systems. It seemed like the officer was pulling over cars non-stop for a few weeks. :laughing: When people got their vehicles “all legal,” the traffic stops slowed to a crawl. Our streets were safer. :wink:

2 Likes

We have those also. We don’t have stickers on our plates, so they read the plate itself. This tool is also used to find stolen plates/vehicles, or pull you over for expired registration.
When the police pull you over for a vehicle infraction - taillight out - they can pull the vehicle off the road until a full inspection has been done.

3 Likes

Our inspection stickers and registration stickers are on the windshield, lower corner of the driver’s side.

That seems a little harsh should a tail light burn out. I always check all my lights before heading out. One night I did the usual light check - all were functioning. About 30 minutes into my drive I got pulled over for a tail light out. I was given a ticket - and 24 hours to replace the tail lamp. Once that ornery bulb was replace, all I had to do was to go to the police station and show an officer the bulb is now working… ticket dismissed. Our full inspections include vehicle emission tests, inspecting all the brakes (emergency/parking brake as well), etc… I’m surprised they don’t test for that “new car smell!” :rofl:

3 Likes

We don’t have any that are visible from the outside of the vehicle.

3 Likes

I’m not… too many used cars are worse than gym lockers… they simply can’t get anyone willing to risk sniffing… :sunglasses:

@TerriB funny thing… my recently bought van has an SK sticker in the door frame… but it is expired… probably due to being registered in BC lately… and it would have had to have a BC inspection done to be registered into a new province… wouldn’t have received insurance or plates until it was…

3 Likes

which usually means it went through an inspection for a reason…traded in, fender bender,. How can you tell it went through a BC inspection? Does BC have stickers in the windows? We have a VIN check on the SGI website we can look up any vehicle prior to buying it. This shows if it has been in an accident, recalls, repairs, etc. You could probably put your van vin in.

There is also a cross canada vin check page.

3 Likes

In the US there was probably someone who figured they could make some money from this type of vehicle check… hence we have Car Fax, a “pay for” service. I have never used it because here’s the thing: If someone had an accident and made the repairs themselves or went to a small garage, then the chances of the vehicle and corresponding damage being reported are practically zero. They tout they have the damage on vehicles that were in a flood, accident, etc., but these things have to be reported first. In New York we have a “Lemon Law.” If someone buys a vehicle and they are constantly repairing this and that, or the frame is twisted because of an accident, you can legally return the vehicle and get your money back. I don’t know how long of a period of time is allowed before the vehicle can be considered a lemon, but some people have used it. Most reputable dealers will advertise their used vehicles as “Certified”, meaning they’ve gone through all the systems/parts and (self-)certify the vehicle is okay.

I don’t know if New York state has this option on their DMV website. I’ll have to check it out later on.

3 Likes