Vehicles_Abandoned, Not Roadworthy, Repaired

I have seen Carfax on Auto trader etc. but I have never used it.

The Transport Canada Site also has The Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database. You can enter the year and make of the vehicle and it will give you all of the information on the recalls and defects.
If “certified” at a dealership, they actually have to show you the inspection, repairs, reports.
We also have Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan - which is for lemon cars versus the manufacturer.

If a vehicle is repaired from an accident in Saskatchewan, it goes through an SGI (Sask Govt Insurance) body shop and that is the only way that the auto body shop is paid.

People need to do their ‘due diligence’ when purchasing a vehicle privately…check the vin, check the recalls, check whether they have been done, etc. There are many stolen vehicles out there, if you don’t check, and you buy one privately for a “good deal”, most likely the police will end up at your door and seize it and you will be out the money you paid for the vehicle. Or the vehicle was in a flood in southern US, and was sold on Kijiji. So many scenarios to look at before purchasing a used vehicle.

@Jim7 - you derailed us from “cans” to “cars” in this topic…should it be moved…?
Thank you!!!

3 Likes

As I said… it had BC plates registered to it… Anything coming into the province and re registered here has to pass inspection or they don’t get registered… and not licence or insurance either… a stolen BC plate would show up on transfer… same for outstanding tickets and such… they hit you twice for that…
NO pay tickets including parking and you can’t renew your driver licence either… of course that could explain the people driving without licences and no valid plates or insurance… a goodly number of vehicles I see driven by people who have recently move here never change their registrations…
cheat cheat… a lot of people keep their Alberta plates on… and up to date… they say that they live in Alberta and commute a lot… despite being resident here for many years… full time… they register the vehicle at their family home or to a business there… heck I knew one guy who lived here full time, and always bought his cars / trucks in Alberta and never registered them here at all… just used an Alberta address… no sales tax over there on trucks… BC loses because if registered here legally, they would charge the sales tax then… like all good BC residents are supposed to do when buying in Alberta :sunglasses: and bringing it back home… same for other provinces, but most charge sales tax… which you can claim back upon export… while you pay the BC tax… ha… even on a pack of candy… but that is not what they worry about… a $50k truck yes…

I won’t try the VIN registration right now… maybe next month… when I have more time. I do have to remember to check for lights again… I know I have a burnt out HI beam… but I seldom have had need to use them… so I moved the working bulb to the low beam pair… I always use the lows in town. … and snow. I’ve been waiting to see if any others burn out because you should use matched pairs on this type… haven’t found any that match the originals brand… I’ll buy some new ones for the lows and move them up…to the highs… which I still seldom use since I avoid night driving… but the car wants to use them for day driving which is OK… Speaking about driving I just looked at the time… If I want breakfast I have to run… Lynne’s day for appointment… and that means supper later… sigh…

4 Likes

That is true here also…the tickets stay with the original owner of the vehicle, but they cannot sell it until they have paid up the tickets so it does not transfer to the new owner.

I agree I think they do drive without a drivers license or plates until they are caught. Our laws in Sask changed this year and if you are caught for cell phone use, or speeding or anything that shows you have other tickets, 7 day impound of your vehicle at the owners expense. I was hoping that would deter some people. Last week a Regina Police officer pulled over a driver on a cell phone ticket - first offence - no impound…but hours later pulled over the same driver for the same thing…impound, second ticket. Expensive day. I’m not sure those types of people are going to learn from tickets or anything else.

I follow Cst. Mike Hawkeye Seel RPS on twitter, he has some pretty funny tweets on cell phone users he has stopped.

3 Likes

I sail on a loch (also known as a “lake” outwith Scotland) in the border area between Scotland and England. In days of yore, when winter temperatures were lower, it’s said that locals would get rid of their rubbish by taking it out on the ice on the loch in winter and wait for it to disappear into the depths as the ice melted in spring. Rumour has it that a Model T Ford was disposed of in this way. More recently, several divers have tried to find the car without success.

The loch bed is known to drop off very sharply about 10m from the shore. Rumour has it that a previous pre-fabricated clubhouse was disposed of by shoving the panels over the edge into the deeps beyond.

I can attest to trying to lay a 3’ x 2’ paving slab as a base for a pump in the loch. I used a wheelbarrow to carry the slab. When tipped off the barrow it was last seen doing an impression of a manta ray heading over the shelf into the depths of the loch.

2 Likes

I like that idea, and your new law about the impounding of the vehicles. Over here we hear a lot of traffic stops where the person has license suspensions for failure to pay fines (tickets, court fees, etc.). The only thing the officer can do is issue another ticket for the current offense and the driver goes on his merry way. That is crazy! Like he’s going to pay that ticket when he has outstanding tickets? Even some of our politicians - just before re-election - make a mad dash to pay their unpaid parking tickets from when they are in the Capital, otherwise their names are listed in the newspapers and online. We think it’s so funny that they don’t seem to care about paying their fines until it could hurt them politically.

Maybe we should adopt some of your laws about vehicles being impounded. There are a few cases where the vehicle gets towed - DUI, no insurance, and a couple of other reasons. But losing one’s car for a week sounds great!

Regarding that officer pulling over the same person a second time hours later reminded me of this guy in the Albany area that got arrested for DUI 3 times in one week! The first time he was arrested, got a court date and was released on an appearance ticket. Two days later he gets arrested for the same thing! And then a couple of days later he’s arrested again! The judge didn’t think he was funny and locked him up immediately. Now he’s waiting in jail for his court hearing. What an idiot! He will most likely lose his driver’s license, be fined royally and will spend some time in the county jail. But on the brighter side, he did make it on TV! :rofl: Just glad they got him off the road before he hurt or killed someone.

3 Likes

They impound them for various reasons. Cell phone use, second offence, 7 days. Driving under the influence - we are .04 so your vehicle is impounded at that point, suspension and non registration are automatic impoundment. Speeding over limit…recently a young guy who was on a graduated drivers license - 16 yrs old - speeding over 20 kph over the speed limit, his mom’s car impounded for 7 days…and he had two friends in the car…another fine…oh oh.

Graduated license has three stages before they get their final drivers license. At 16, the driver is eligible for the road test and, if successful, becomes a Novice 1 driver for six months. The restrictions are passengers must be family only and/or only one non-related passenger. Drivers must not drink alcohol and can’t use a cell phone. They can’t be a supervising driver and can’t get a commercial driver’s license.

While a Novice 2 driver, drivers still can’t drink alcohol or use a cell phone, the number of passengers is limited to the number of seatbelts, they cannot be a supervising driver, and cannot receive a commercial driver’s license. They must be free from at-fault collisions, traffic convictions, and license suspensions.

If an accident occurs, the 12-month period starts over again. After this, they graduate to a Class 5 driver’s license.

3 Likes

That’s about what we have here in NY with the exception of your Novice 2. When a person is 16 they can get a Learner’s Permit after completing a 6-hour classroom instruction. They have to have a parent or guardian accompany them while driving. No driving by themselves and not at night (after sunset). Once they take and pass their road test - they’re allowed 2 tries within 6 months - they get what used to be called a Junior Operator’s License with restrictions. The state may have changed this name to just a letter as they did with all the rest of the license types. I haven’t kept up with the changes. Anyway, they can drive to and from school and work - as long as it’s after 6 AM and before 9 PM. Not sure about passengers. (It’s been a few decades since we went through this with our kids. :wink:) They can only drive passenger vehicles, no truck, tractors etc… They are on a 6-month “probation.” Once the probationary period is over they receive a regular driver’s license. Oh, and if they have an accident while possessing a Leaner’s Permit, they can kiss that goodbye immediately and have to start all over from scratch. Of course alcohol is a no-no, no traffic accidents, convictions or suspensions.

We used to have the license classes with numbers, but they switched them all to letters years ago. The last commercial license I had was BX, indicating the following: Truck/Truck & Trailer not over 48,000 lbs net weight; Air brakes; hazardous material and tanker endorsements. After I retired, I was due up for renewal just as the state decided they wanted to switch the renewal term to 8 years! That was a chunk of money and with my neck and shoulders messed up, I didn’t plan on doing any more driving truck. I switched to a regular old driver’s license. Wouldn’t you know a couple of years later I was asked to haul blacktop for a relative - no manual labor, just haul it. Had to tell him I gave up my license. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

All high school students take drivers ed. I believe they have about 10 hours each of actual driving time with a driving instructor. They also drive with their parents for practice, especially that parallel parking practice!

3 Likes

I have a sister-in-law who couldn’t parallel park… flunked it on her road test. She actually told the instructor she didn’t “need to parallel park as there’s no curbs where I live.” :rofl: He wasn’t impressed!

Our son took Driver Ed in school. When we had him out practicing I noticed he wasn’t keeping to the right, but instead keeping close to the center of the road. When I suggested he move over some, he told me the Driver Ed instructor told everyone that debris gets kicked over to the side of the road and that’s why they should keep to the left of the lane. :astonished: I noticed going around curves he was dangerously close to the vehicles coming in the opposite direction - as they too were hugging the center line. No wonder the number of head-on collisions started going up back then! The “Rule of the Road” here is “Keep to the RIght” - not to the left! Now my wife has started hugging the center line and I sit in the passenger side with white knuckles and an increase in my heart rate. :grimacing: :wink: She gets upset with me if I say something to her, but when she crosses onto the center lines, the grooves in the pavement tell her she’s over too far. She gives me a quick glance and I just smirk. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m still laughing! “impression of a mantra ray” What an image.

However, tsk to those prior practices of burying trash underwater.

3 Likes

That right! New York City for decades dumped barges full at sea. The old saying of “Out of sight, out of mind” played well there - until they found out what harm it was causing. :unamused:

1 Like

Wasn’t part of Long Island waterways filled in with Gar-Bage? And they uncovered it (in the last decade?) when a wall began to fail (?) ??
Didn’t they find a wooden ship there?

Memory fails me.

2 Likes

Very possible. I don’t remember either. I know when a part of the Hudson River was dredged down there, they found quite a few vehicles and pulled them from the river bottom. Even here in town, when the channel coming in to the marina at Coeymans Landing was dredged, an old car, tons of bicycles and a motorcycle were pulled up. Seems some teenagers were stealing bicycles up in the village, riding them down into the hamlet and dumping them into the river. We even found one in our hedges one morning… and two across the street in the grassy triangle on the corner. One summer the town police took names of needy children and raffled off the bicycles that were never reclaimed by their owners. The remaining were auctioned off for pennies on the dollar. :shushing_face: :zipper_mouth_face: :wink: (And I think the officers paid those pennies for the kids. :smiley:)

I bet there’s still a lot of vehicles in the river from Albany down to New York City. Who knows how many were washed out in the sound from the river during flood stages.

2 Likes

OMG, I can’t believe I forgot where it was! Or maybe the location ensured I’d forget?

3 Likes

Fully agree. But I would have to say in their defence that it was around 50 years ago and in a country area where disposal facilities were not of the best. Sadly it still goes on in some places.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was standard practice wherever the ocean was accessible. US used to carry garbage out on barges.

3 Likes

Edinburgh wasn’t that bad - lots of landfill though. Sewage sludge was dumped in the Forth Estuary. The boat used for this, the “Gardyloo”, was something of a tourist attraction for those wanting to watch the process.

3 Likes